What crop is this? Whitish purple flowers

(7 Posts)
OverAndAbove Thu 25-Jun-15 17:52:03

I keep driving by a couple of fields with tall flowers, about knee/thigh height, that look a bit like poppies but are mostly white, with a pale purple tinge to them. The leaves look more like large pea shoots, and the flowers are tighter than "normal" red poppies but there are definitely seed heads that look right. I'm guessing as the seed heads are developing, they are not for cut flowers.

Can anyone tell me what is being grown? It's in South Oxon, on a sunny aspect. I'm really curious as they are so pretty but realise it's probably something really common...

And who knew we had a rural topic?! I nearly posted in Gardening. I'm now off for a read...

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 17:56:03

Its linseed - interestingly they are only open in the sun, so close overnight

OverAndAbove Thu 25-Jun-15 18:00:56

Ah no it's much paler than linseed (that's flax, isn't it?) and not as blue, but in the same area there are flax fields too. These are really delicately coloured flowers but bigger than the linseed. I'm assuming grown for seed/oil though given the heads are left on?

MillyMollyMandy78 Thu 25-Jun-15 18:04:29

Thank you for posting this, we have a field on way to work full of blue flowers and i wondered what it was. DH drove by in the evening and said they had closed up. Ours is definitely linseed, so thanks for solving our query! Sorry i can be no help in answering yours...

OverAndAbove Thu 25-Jun-15 18:10:55

Mystery solved (I should google more!)

They are in fact purple poppies, very similar to these and not far away

www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=1503140

Thank you for your posts; it's been bugging me for a while. Linseed's not out yet but hopefully soon!

CMOTDibbler Thu 25-Jun-15 18:14:05

Oh, interesting smile

Very close to me is a farm growing delphiniums for confetti - they grow them in big colour stripes, and are gorgeous

OverAndAbove Thu 25-Jun-15 18:19:33

Wow, I would love that! It's brilliant when you turn a corner and there's something unexpected; like poppies in barley fields or indeed the linseed flowers out in the sun. I even quite like oil seed rape, and there's a field nearby that was so bright this year it hurt my eyes to look at it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now