Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

School run car - bumped wing mirror - am I being too anxious?

(12 Posts)
ScarletTiger Tue 28-Apr-09 10:10:45

I have just dropped the kids of at school andaccidentally bumped someone's wing mirror.

I don't know how much damage I did but there was definately a very LOUD THUD!!!

I feel guilty/bad/anxious that I have may have caused damage to someone's car. I meant to go and check their car to see if there was damage but after I dropped the kids off in the school and came out the car had gone.

I know some other mother's saw me do it and as I don't know any of the mothers I don't know if they know the owner of the car - I think I am waffling - I am dreading going back at 3.30 to pick the kids up.

TeriHatchetJob Tue 28-Apr-09 10:12:35

Don't worry. The thud was probably the mirror pinging back and forth.

Why not put a note in the school office window - don't think you could do more than that.

chuffinell Tue 28-Apr-09 11:52:26

dont feel too bad, at least you didnt hit a child - a car can be mended

just look out for the car and pop a note on it, or speak to the driver

you really should have stopped and checked/left a note at the time of the bump, but we all panic at times

branflake81 Tue 28-Apr-09 12:03:20

I did this the other day. I didn't stop because I was mortified. I walked back round secretly to check the damage and despite the loud thud was just the mirror folding itself up and there was no damage.

shavenhaven Tue 28-Apr-09 12:16:31

i would ring the office right now and tell them what happened and ask if anything has been said.

at least that way you wont be put on the spot at 3-30 if someone asks why you did nothing.

lljkk Tue 28-Apr-09 12:25:25

This happened to me once, only I knocked the wing mirror off with a double buggy. I put the mirror on the bonnet as I couldn't see how to fit it back on quickly.

I completely forgot about it in the rush to get dc to school. Next day the car owner came up and mentioned it (someone had seen me & told him who it was)... I apologised and he was good humoured. He managed to pop it back on easily enough, and has been friendly since.
Most people are more forgiving than we give them credit for.

ScarletTiger Tue 28-Apr-09 12:32:16

Okay I have rung the school and left a message in reception with my name and mobile number.

I still feel a little sick about it - there was no damage on our car so I am hoping that the thud was the wing mirror popping back into place.

warthog Tue 28-Apr-09 13:44:32

don't worry. i park my car on a very narrow street and nearly every day someone knocks it in. someone even hit it so hard the casing broke off - no note, nothing. that was annoying. but the odd knock is expected. smile

faye007 Wed 06-Nov-13 18:38:55

a parent stood at my car after school today saying I had drove past her car this morning and our mirrors hit each others (her car was stationary)I have no damage neither has she but she is saying her heating wing mirror isn't working now and wants my insurance details! I have to believe I did it although I heard nothing and could have only been in 2nd gear at most as she was parked two cars in front of mine and there is so much traffic on this particular road it would be hard to go any faster. she has a big sturdy Volvo saloon and I have a golf. I work in the school on lunches and cannot afford to pay out of my pocket but think it'll ruin my insurance no - claims. could I refuse on any grounds to accept liability? bearing in mind we pass each other most days, our children know of each other and I often look after her childs class on rainy days - feel bad but . . .

YoureBeingASillyBilly Wed 06-Nov-13 18:42:02

I live next to a school and my wing mirror has been shattered twice in 6 months. No-one came to me to say they did it so i've had to fork out for the repairs. My car is a cheapo so not as expensive as getting electrics fixed. I would see i you could find the same car tomorrow and leave a note.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 06-Nov-13 23:31:58

faye007: She's trying it on. To break a mirror heater you have to shatter the glass or hit the mirror so hard it rips out the cable.

You probably touched, and she thought " ooh, she can pay for my new mirror heater". Even if you are kindhearted enough to accept responsibility, it's cheaper to pay for it yourself. Your excess and loss of NCD will see to that.

faye007 Thu 07-Nov-13 18:46:07

thanks for that reply disgracet theYchromosome - that sounds pretty spot on to me, so that's what I'm going to say to her tomorrow when I see her. I asked her today how did she know my car did it and she said she saw it happen as she was walking to her car about a 100m away and my car was passing and she saw it hit her wing mirror.
thanks for advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now