Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Does it end?

(5 Posts)
ciderfairy3009 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:23:26

I'm in a loving relationship and it's going amazing and it's the happiest I've ever been but before my OH there was this guy I was seeing but never got together and he treated me like a spare piece but he'd never had a relationship before! But every time I see him I think what if? I wouldn't cheat on my boyfriend or anything like that I just wish I could get rid of that feeling of what could of been! He's one of my close friends so it's not that I won't see him again which doesn't help but I don't want to ruin the friendship or my relationship with my OH over something that I know will never happen?

Just wish I knew how to get rid of the what if? Feeling?

Tarttlet Sun 27-Nov-16 16:03:19

"he treated me like a spare piece but he'd never had a relationship before"

The first part of that sentence is all you need to know. Chances are if you'd got with him he wouldn't have treated you well. Not having had a relationship before isn't an excuse to not treat someone with the respect they deserve.

ciderfairy3009 Sun 27-Nov-16 17:36:15

Thank you maybe I just need the confidence to get over it!!

goddessofsmallthings Sun 27-Nov-16 19:39:07

I wouldn't give this knobhead the time of day, let alone count him as one of my 'close friends' and I suggest you re-evaluate his position in your social circle.

If you had 'got together' with him it's probable that he wouldn't have treated you any differently and, as Tartlett has said, not having had a relationship before is no excuse for treating someone with a lack of consideration that borders on disdain.

Focus on your happy relationship with your oh and feel sorry for any female who is misguided enough to settle for less than they deserve.

It seems to me you dodged a bullet and the fates have rewarded you accordingly.

ciderfairy3009 Sun 27-Nov-16 20:58:43

I genuinely think I have thank you for seeing the perspective I need smile I can't wait for the future of a better bullet that I've dodged xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now