Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Saying I love you by accident

(7 Posts)
Myusernameismyusername Sat 26-Nov-16 10:21:57

I say it about 20 times a day to my kids, my best friend, sister and DN. I'm an over sayer of I love you, after phone calls, at bed, when I take them to school etc so am finding this really hard not to just say it accidentally.

I am really struggling to not blurt it out willy bully to BF, when we go t sleep cuddling and we have not got to this stage at all yet! When we get off the phone I nearly say it and this morning when BF got up to leave to go get his kids for the day I was half asleep and so nearly blurted it out in a yelling out BYE LOVE YOU! Way blush.

I think it's like when you called your teacher 'mum' at school. I really don't think I love him quite yet, although clearly whenever I get strong feelings I associate them with love. I'm going to try to keep not saying it but how do I style it out if i forget? grin

OldRosesDoomed Sat 26-Nov-16 10:26:38

Wondering how you might have said it when you don't think you love him quite yet, he's left your home after spending the night with you and there are children involved on both sides. Far mire to worry about than an overused "I Love you". But then again, I'm ok fashioned about these things - do you feel at least that he's someone you could and would happily love?

talksensetome Sat 26-Nov-16 10:29:47

If it comes out it comes out, you clearly feel strongly about him anyway so what's the worst that can happen.

I always almost say it when cuddling after sex because of the endorphins.

Minivaperviper Sat 26-Nov-16 10:30:03

I styled it out once early in rl mucking around and I dead pan told him I loved him, then quickly went I love your hair.blush

He either didn't hear me which I doubt or decided to style it too, few months later all loved up tho so he didn't run for the hills.

He might know it's a reflex of yours rather than a declaration.

Myusernameismyusername Sat 26-Nov-16 10:30:06

Not met any children on either side, not long been dating! (Four months)

Yeah I think I have really strong feelings and that's why it seems to invoke the response in me to say it, when I am sleepy or such like but i too just feel like if you are going to say it, it should NOT be blurred out yelled down the stairs in a blasè fashion!

It's too soon to know that yet isn't it? I always thought it would take longer than a few months to know. I want to be sure.

Myusernameismyusername Sat 26-Nov-16 10:31:05

*blurted out

SpidersFromMars Sat 26-Nov-16 10:38:39

I don't think it's so bad to have your subconscious involved in saying it.
For me, I said it, accidentally, after about 6 months, when he picked up his phone to no texts, and said "nobody loves me". My reply was " I love you" ... and then, after a few awkward seconds, realising I did mean it, and didn't want to take it back or style it out "I love you". He said it back and we're happily married a decade on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now