Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

House Purchase - Advice Needed

(6 Posts)
Dollymouse Sat 26-Nov-16 08:28:51

Hi, we are finally buying a house - except I am the one who's got the mortgage (DH is 55 and self employed so very complicated). All along the conveyancing solicitors have written to us both and I've told them by phone that I am happy for them to talk to us both but I am the buyer. DH has given me/put in money from his pension towards the deposit - but has also had to sign a letter to say he has no financial interest in the property for the mortgage company. Today the contracts have arrived for signing and they have both our names on - my question is does it matter? We are desperate to keep moving as we want to move in 2 weeks - do we both sign? Do I just sign and cross his name off? (Incidentally a change of price has just been crossed out in Ken in the contracts by the solicitor so obviously not that sacred!). Advice appreciated!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 26-Nov-16 08:32:15

I would contact them by phone, explain the error, and ask if they are happy for you to sign and agree to the amendments (ie remove dh's name) or whether they want you to wait for a new contract to be sent. They aren't that sacred, ours was reprinted same day when I dropped them in town on my way to the postbox!

senua Sat 26-Nov-16 08:34:35

Will it cause complications with the mortgagor? - they will have problems pursuing you-only if the house is in joint names. Phone or e-mail (for speed) the solicitors to ask for an ameneded contract.

Thinking about it, phone and e-mail - for speed and so you have it in writing in case they mess up again.

glorious Sat 26-Nov-16 08:41:03

This would really annoy me. I can tell you how many times in our sale and purchase people wrote to DH despite us both owning / buying.

I would have it corrected. As a PP said I think your mortgage company would want it anyway.

SleepingTiger Sat 26-Nov-16 09:01:46

If you are trying to remove H to show he has no legal or equitable interest in the property then it is probably pointless. He will have by virtue of putting part of his pension money down on the purchase. Google proprietory estoppel.

Dollymouse Sat 26-Nov-16 12:36:21

Thanks all - yes it did annoy me! Of course my husband benefits from the house and if we split gets half etc - but I am the buyer! I'll ring the solicitors on Monday and sort it out! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now