Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do you think of these comments?

(23 Posts)
WhatDoYouThinkOfTheseComments Wed 16-Nov-16 20:28:43

Posting here for opinions please.

Without giving any background to influence answers, what do you think of these comments?

Re a gay marriage:

'Do they have a groom and groom or which one will be the bride?'

'You probably don't want to know about the present list. Too many things that would need explaining!!,

MrsBertMacklin Wed 16-Nov-16 20:30:30

I'd think that person was an unfunny prat and would feel embarrassed for them.

Myusernameismyusername Wed 16-Nov-16 20:31:08

I wouldn't be happy about comments like that from an adult. I have a lot of gay friends and while I appreciate some things are geniuses misconceptions those comments just are bitchy and uncalled for.

A child on the other hand (comment 1) I would be happy to explain because kids can sometimes be accidentally blunt

Myusernameismyusername Wed 16-Nov-16 20:31:26

Genuine misconceptions*

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Wed 16-Nov-16 20:35:11

Sort of thing my PIL and my mother would say. Part ignorance part stupidity and part sheer nasty homophobia (it comes with a lot of other 'obias' as well) We don't generally get on.

KirstyinNorway Wed 16-Nov-16 20:43:26

Not acceptable for an adult, couldn't even pretend to get on with someone who came out with stuff like that.

For a child (more applying to the 1st one, can't imagine a child said the 2nd!) - they just need an explanation, as myusername said - it probably wasn't meant to sound rude.

228agreenend Wed 16-Nov-16 20:48:24

I think the groom and groom comment isn't too bad. I would assume it's an older person or child coming trying to understand the situation.

The present list statement is juvenile.

Mondegreens Wed 16-Nov-16 20:49:49

It would be fairly clear to me that the speaker was an idiot.

WhatDoYouThinkOfTheseComments Wed 16-Nov-16 20:58:11

Bump

Ladyformation Wed 16-Nov-16 21:03:32

I'd assume ignorance and/or twattery definitely for the first, but the latter is something that might be said of or by a lot of my friends, straight and gay, so couldn't get wound up about that unless it was obviously bitchy.

spicyfajitas Wed 16-Nov-16 21:19:21

I'd think they were idiots and I'd keep my distance. I'm not even sure what they're getting at with that second comment, but it sounds like an attempt at being bitchy and rude.

LesisMiserable Wed 16-Nov-16 21:35:19

I dont think the first one is that contentious , not sure what the second means.

BantyCustards Wed 16-Nov-16 21:40:06

Narrow-minded, childish, bigoted.

WhatDoYouThinkOfTheseComments Wed 16-Nov-16 23:06:31

No, not a child/children.

tallwivglasses Wed 16-Nov-16 23:49:35

I'd think is this person trying to be funny? hmm

TheNaze73 Wed 16-Nov-16 23:52:03

The first part I don't see a problem with, the second point is just bad 1976 humour

Whateveryouwannacallme Thu 17-Nov-16 00:13:36

Depends on the situation re the first one ...

if person genuinely wanted to get terminology correct ..eg at some marriages one is still asked if you want to sit on the brides side or grooms side !

Also its not always straightforward. I attended my friends marriage where both the man and the woman were brides .

Maybe one of the couple concerned is very "feminine" ? hence the bride question

I suppose it depends on what is one the wedding list and the circumstances / relationship of the sayer to the couple to say whether the statement was meant seriously or as a joke or as an insult.

SandyY2K Thu 17-Nov-16 07:33:12

Yes ... I'd say the first comment is ok. Just curiosity.

The second comment was unecessary.

Diamogs Thu 17-Nov-16 07:54:05

The first one, crass but could be a genuine question. The second is someone trying and failing to be funny and just showing themselves to be homophobic.

Although my friends sister is gay and would come out with the latter comment as she likes to try and shock people.

Iamthinking Thu 17-Nov-16 09:19:16

I didn't understand the second one.

Hermano Thu 17-Nov-16 09:25:56

I'd assume (without hearing intonation/ seeing winks etc) the second one is a hilarious reference to the idea that two men would just want gigantic dildos and litre pots of lube rather than hetero presents like Le Creuset.

Depending on who said it and their relationship to the couple it could either be ignorant and rude or crass but quite amusing.

I know a gay couple that is a good jokey cliché for and who wouldn't be offended, I also know more gay couples who would be more into Le Creuset and Kenwood mixer attachments.

Zaphodsotherhead Thu 17-Nov-16 09:41:03

First one - yeah, might be a logical question from someone who really hadn't looked outside since 1982, but could let that one pass.

Second one - that would really make me snap 'yes, because all hetero couples ask for sex toys as wedding presents, don't they?' Unfunny and ignorant.

First comment not too bad, just a genuine question maybe.

I don't understand the second comment at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now