Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Potentially embarrassing situation with a friend. What do I do?

(12 Posts)
eirrah Wed 16-Nov-16 15:20:42

Hi. Apologies if this isn't the right place for this but I wasn't sure where was best to post it.

I go on holiday next week with my friend. She is a large girl (approx. 24 stone) and it's her first flight in around 8 years. The last time we flew she didn't weigh as much. I am really anxious about the flight for her. I know she's going to be squished in and I am worried they'll mention she needs to buy another seat to fit on the plane. I also know she will need a seat belt extender and the tray won't fit down. This all sounds so harsh but I just want to reduce her embarrassment for her if that makes sense? I know the flight attendants will deal with this regularly but is there anything I can do to make my friend feel better? I know she will take it to heart and be upset, but I also presume she expects it too being the size she is.

Has anyone ever flown with a larger person or had any experience themselves?

Thank you

LIZS Wed 16-Nov-16 15:27:30

Can you pre book extra legroom seats?

timelytess Wed 16-Nov-16 15:44:55

As above. If she asks for a seat belt extension as she enters the plane, they'll hand one over and its less embarrassing than needing to call help later. If its a newish plane, the ordinary seat belts will probably be fine, they seem to be more generous.

loobyloo1234 Wed 16-Nov-16 15:48:52

Can I suggest you prebook her an aisle seat aswell if an extra legroom seat is not available?

ZoFloMoFo Wed 16-Nov-16 15:51:03

I'm fairly sure your friend will have this all in hand. I don't think you should take it upon yourself to do anything unless she mentions it.

Hissy Wed 16-Nov-16 17:28:37

It's her body, her plane ride.

Don't do a thing, it may embarrass her further.

I know you think you mean well, but ffs, leave her alone! Let her work her own stuff out.

Chloeneedshelp Wed 16-Nov-16 17:32:22

I would think she's already thought of this situation and has it in hand or is waiting to see what she can do when she gets to the airport. I wouldn't bring it up and upset her before holiday, but be a friend and look after her if it does happen!

Thatwaslulu Wed 16-Nov-16 17:38:42

As a formerly obese person I have had experience of this. I never had to book two seats and while the tray didn't go all the way down it went down most of the way, or I shared my husband's tray. I asked for a seat belt extension as they come round checking the overhead lockers - it's no big deal and they won't make your friend feel uncomfortable. Having said that I was over the moon when I lost enough weight to not need the extension- also some airlines have longer seat belts and maybe an extension may not be necessary (Lufthansa, BA, Virgin all quite roomy).

Floggingmolly Wed 16-Nov-16 17:41:50

She can't be unaware of the impact of being 24 stone. Why would she need you to "manage" it for her?

Coconutty Wed 16-Nov-16 17:43:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WipsGlitter Wed 16-Nov-16 17:46:37

I agree, presumably she's aware of it and has thought about what she's going to do.

TwentyCups Wed 16-Nov-16 17:48:37

As a PP said I wouldn't mention anything in advance - I'm sure she is aware of the problems.
However, if you arrive and have a middle seat and an aisle seat I would quietly assume the middle one regardless of the ticket numbers you each hold, save her needing to ask.
Her tray might not go down. If that's the case, let her share yours without making it a big deal.
Aeroplanes are uncomfortable at the best of times - I would just do all you can to make her comfortable, but don't draw excessive attention to it.
You sound like a lovely friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now