Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Breaking Contact - But They Won't Leave You Alone

(10 Posts)
LoisEinhorn Thu 10-Nov-16 09:34:29

I've told my ex friend not to contact me anymore but she won't stop. I've got her messages going into my spam folder but I'm reading them because she's acting very unstable and I'd rather have a heads up. One minute calling me a spineless c**t to wishing me a 'happy birthday xx'

What can I do? Steps to take?
Thanks

OnTheRise Thu 10-Nov-16 09:37:49

Now you've told her, all you can do is ignore her. Don't respond to her emails, or to her phone calls and texts. Just leave her alone. She'll eventually get the message. You might notice an increase in messages and stuff for a while, but they'll tail off.

If you keep communicating with her, and tell her every time she calls you "I asked you to stop that!" you're rewarding her behaviour with your attention.

LoisEinhorn Thu 10-Nov-16 09:45:34

No I'm not responding to anything, just reading. She's continuing to message going from one extreme to another - as above

SparklyMagpie Thu 10-Nov-16 09:55:46

Could you change you're number or email address? Or you can downloads apps so you can block her number.

I agree she'll probably get fed up at some point and fizzle out

confuugled1 Thu 10-Nov-16 10:04:53

Send a last email outlining that you consider her continual bombardment to be harrassment and if she doesn't stop immediately then she will be forcing you to contact the police to report the harrassment. And that this includes all forms ofcontact including (but not restricted to) email, telephone, in person, electronic (eg facebook, instagram, twitter etc), etc.

And then make sure that if she does contact you again, keep it in a separate folder and follow through and report her to thecpolice for harrassment. If you have legal insurance then see if they will give you the right way to word it.

LoisEinhorn Thu 10-Nov-16 10:08:27

confuugled1 thank you.

Its her acting so unstable that worries me

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 10-Nov-16 10:15:17

Unfortunately you can do nothing about her current state of mind. I would also stop now reading her messages; it really serves no purpose.

I would now reporting her to the police for harassment, you've already told her to stop but she continues.

skilledintheartofnothing Thu 10-Nov-16 12:23:34

In my experience if she is unstable you may find that this gets worse before it gets better.
She will try different tacks to try to get you to reply, from the kind happy birthday and sweetness and light, then to the name calling where she try's to goad a reaction from you. If these dont work you may find that she moves on to more extreme things, going from very nasty to threatening to harm herself ect. She may also say you are driving her to this ect.

The best thing you can do is stop reading these emails and remove yourself from it. You are not in anyway responsible for her actions.

redexpat Thu 10-Nov-16 20:12:47

Set up a filter or sorting rule or whatever your email provider calls them. Create a new folder and divert all messages from her address into it. Have them be marked as read so you wont be aware of new messages arriving. Get someone else to check them every now and then. If she makes any threats then you have clear evidence for the police.

LoisEinhorn Thu 17-Nov-16 10:44:10

I got another txt from her so spoke to the police. They said to let her have that one txt but any more arrive they will then act. And if she turns up on my doorstep to cal the police.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now