Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

So Ross from Friends was abusive.

(45 Posts)
HelenaDove Mon 07-Nov-16 01:42:31

The character of Ross NOT the actor who played him. I know it was only a TV show but there are some pretty interesting points here.

And all put together in one place makes me realise Ross was pretty abusive.

www.redonline.co.uk/reviews/what-to-watch-tonight/this-fan-theory-about-ross-and-ben-from-friends-is-really-sad

One point thats been left off that list is that he was the Golden Child growing up. (anyone who has watched the show will remember his parents his mum especially favouring him over Monica. This may have fostered a sense of entitlement.

He was also controlling or tried to be when he found out about Monicas relationship with Chandler.

Prisencolinensinainciusol Mon 07-Nov-16 01:51:13

Yup. There have been extensive threads on the topic. He's a dick.

grin

growapear Mon 07-Nov-16 08:40:03

lol

I always felt a bit sorry for him, finding out your wife is in fact a lesbian and having her announce that she is pregnant and will raise his son with her new partner must have been quite tough on a young guy in his 20's.

Thisjustinno Mon 07-Nov-16 08:42:22

There have been several threads on this very topic!

Unicornsandrainbows3 Mon 07-Nov-16 08:54:32

Agree with this. he was creepy!

YonicProbe Mon 07-Nov-16 09:00:36

Awesome thread of awesomeness

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/1209195-Ways-the-TV-series-Friends-was-anti-feminist

YonicProbe Mon 07-Nov-16 09:06:56

Pear

Well, yes. Though a later episode hints that they slept together after Carol told him she was leaving him for Susan and that's when Ben was conceived. I suspect that was retcon, like the rent control comment, as the writers realised timelines were unrealistic otherwise.

The entire series was utterly unrealistic with respect to pregnancy and kids. Natural birth for triplets like shelling peas? Your ex husband's friends all come to the hospital? Where was Emma being stored all day? Etc.

ThatGingerOne Mon 07-Nov-16 09:24:21

Yes! And Susan was seemingly the only one who could see what an arsehole he was.

Rude to his partners new girlfriend (its not Carol's fault she was a lesbian).
Not wanting Rachel to see he co-worker Mark (even at work) so he marked his territory with flowers and a barbershop quartet!
Not wanting his son to play with a barbie.
He was awful to Rachel too - when she was working late one night he turned up and wouldn't leave her alone, he was constantly trying to put her down about wanting to go into fashion while Joey and Chandler supported her to quit her waitressing job, Ross called it 'Just a job.' when Rachel explained it was her dream.

pictish Mon 07-Nov-16 09:27:03

Correct. He's a whining, overbearing, self-entitled dick.

But he was also hilarious and adorable too and David Schwimmer killed it.

hmcAsWas Mon 07-Nov-16 09:30:04

Okaaaaay hmm

pictish Mon 07-Nov-16 09:32:19

Regarding Susan...he was not obliged to be her biggest fan. Carol was having an affair with her behind his back and was a large part of the reason his marriage broke up, which she showed absolutely no remorse over. Susan always treated him like he was stupid and had no right to be upset over any of it. Susan was a bitch.

ThatGingerOne Mon 07-Nov-16 09:38:54

To be fair Ross was the one who invited Susan into the bedroom. We cannot know for sure Carol was sleeping with her before that but we can assume probably how she discovered her feelings.

growapear Mon 07-Nov-16 09:39:40

Agree Pictish. Also the fact she left him for a woman I always felt was supposed to be part of making Ross comical.

ComputerDog Mon 07-Nov-16 09:43:10

Agree with pictish. Susan was a bitch!

Agree Carole couldn't help being a lesbian but she should have ended her marriage rather than stringing Ross along...

SpringerS Mon 07-Nov-16 09:46:17

To be fair Ross was the one who invited Susan into the bedroom. We cannot know for sure Carol was sleeping with her before that but we can assume probably how she discovered her feelings.

That was just in a 'what if' episode where we see what would have happened 3 years into their marriage if Carol never realised she was gay. In the actual timeline of the series Carol started an affair with her friend from the gym and the first Ross knew of it was when Carol told him she was leaving him.

mouldycheesefan Mon 07-Nov-16 09:47:55

Loved that one where he went crazy when someone at work ate his special turkey sandwich. 😂

DanicaJones Mon 07-Nov-16 09:50:31

On the other thread, someone posted about the " anti-single mother rant Monica had at her wedding." What did she say? I don't remember it.

Bonobosown Mon 07-Nov-16 09:52:09

These threads have ruined my childhood sad

I know you're all right but I love Friends - it's my happy place.

Shoesarethebaneofmylife Mon 07-Nov-16 09:55:27

That star projector is on a lightning deal again.
I bought one last time for my daughter and now everyone wants one!

pictish Mon 07-Nov-16 09:55:28

My favourite Ross moments are; Ross and the leather trousers, Ross and the teeth whitening, Ross and the spray tan.

Ross (to Monica): "So I tried that new tanning place you recommended."
Chandler: "Was that place The Sun?"

No...as much as I agree Ross was vain, self obsessed, possessive and controlling, Rachel never put up with any of his crap and he always got his comeuppance to great comic effect. I loved watching him, he cracked me up.

Shoesarethebaneofmylife Mon 07-Nov-16 09:56:11

blush wrong thread sorry.

SpringerS Mon 07-Nov-16 10:00:38

Also, they weren't on a break. Ross phoned Rachel from the bar and the first thing she said was she was glad she called and she didn't want to be on a break. Ross agreed and their break was over. Then he heard Mark in the background and in high dudgeon that Rachel would dare talk through her feelings with a friend (like he just had) he slammed the phone down and fucked Chloe.

Buck3t Mon 07-Nov-16 10:02:39

On the other hand they were on a break! And Rachel had her faults.

Though any man telling me who I can and cannot be friends with would make us more than on just a break!

B

MmmCuriouSir Mon 07-Nov-16 10:03:40

it's made up. Not real.

Buck3t Mon 07-Nov-16 10:05:53

Cross posted with SpringerS. I don't recall it like that. Will have to watch it again to be sure. Even so, a slammed phone would probably mean they were not together at that point.
How convenient that the one person around that she could talk to was Mark. Whom she later dated - nearly vindicated Ross' position (not quite, after all he was a dick!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now