Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Divorce and finance settlement

(11 Posts)
D0ni Fri 28-Oct-16 23:02:59

Hubby and I have more or less agreed a financial split of assets. What should I do next? I'm no expert so no idea if we've thought of everything etc. In this situation is it possible to ask a solicitor to run through things for advice. I'd really rather avoid a drawn out letter writing battle and just get things sorted so we can move on euth our lives.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

SleepingTiger Sat 29-Oct-16 00:03:14

You don't need a solicitor to get divorced. They tend to stir things up and will extract money from both of you.

If you have agreed what you want go to the Court direct and apply for a financial order (Consent).

Threepineapples Sat 29-Oct-16 00:03:29

Yes you can get a solicitor to look over it and draft the order for court.

Julia1973 Sat 29-Oct-16 01:02:55

Things are very fresh and raw for me (husband left 3 weeks ago) but I was going to do things myself- try to agree and be fair. His unreasonable behaviour left me searching mumsnet threads last night to fathom out wtf is going on.

One piece of advice I picked up from other threads were-atleast go to the 1/2hour free consultation. Got an appointment today-and am really happy I did.

Can't hurt can it?

D0ni Sat 29-Oct-16 23:04:43

Thanks for your replies - will definitely go see one. Did you get good advice Julia?

Julia1973 Sun 30-Oct-16 00:15:09

I think he made me wake up a little bit. It dawned on me that having been made a mug of for the past 2 decades- I don't need to do so in our final days.

Julia1973 Sun 30-Oct-16 00:15:48

however- i think from your original post things may be a bit more amicable between you and your ex?

WorriedWife2016 Sun 30-Oct-16 00:26:19

My advice is get a solicitor, I am 7 months in and it's getting messy over massive differences in pensions.
At least take the one hour free, I nearly got caught out and nearly signed when at a low ebb, letting him walk away with a massive pension et would go to the other woman in the event of his death not to his chidlren.
I have since taken in dependant financial advice on pensions and spoken to my solicitor.he hasn't signed yet and it may end up in court but I will fight for what is fair.
Get the facts and cover all bases, a few hindered spent now could sav you thousands in the future depending on your circumstances xxxx
Sorry your having to go through it, it's utter crap x

D0ni Sun 30-Oct-16 21:09:38

Thanks everyone. Looks like it's turning messy now between us. Wish we could just sort this easily but this guy is s huge emotional abuser

sanityisamyth Sun 30-Oct-16 21:20:54

My divorce must be standing at 15k by now. STBEH made things massively complicated and very unreasonable, which I wouldn't have realised if I didn't have a fantastic, albeit, very expensive solicitor.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot - once the consent order is agreed and signed etc it can't be changed very easily.

Good luck x

startingover231 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:07:44

We used a mediator initially just to make sure the financial settlement we'd agreed was lawful and fair. (I.E. Pension shares etc. ) Although that costs it's cheaper than a solicitor. Applied for the divorce myself using online forms and a financial order, but we did have to use a soilcitor to draw that up, (the financial order) advice was we had one each but as we'd agreed through mediation he waived his right to his own solicitor. Financial order has to be lodged with court and agreed before decree absolut is granted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now