Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How do you work out who stays in the marital home?

(5 Posts)
Seasonofmist Fri 28-Oct-16 16:36:14

I have been considering separation for a while. But I am fairly sure that my husband will not want to leave our home. He is very close to the kids and I just can't see him willingly leaving to go and rent some tiny flat somewhere. I admit it doesnt seem fair on him. How does this usually work? Please tell me your stories as I feel desperate today but cannot see how separation will work. Money is an issue too. How the hell do you afford a second home? I feel naive for asking this as I know there are plenty of people out there doing this but I just can't see how it would be possible for us. I really don't want to leave my home either.
Thanks in advance.

VictoriaandBump Fri 28-Oct-16 20:41:50

Hi, sorry to hear you're facing separating from your husband. I separated from my husband at the beginning of August and moved out a little over a month ago. I was the one that brought up separation and even though my husband could see it was for the best, I felt like because I instigated it I should move out. Many people told me I was crazy and he should go but he hadn't done anything wrong. Great person and dad we'd just massively grown apart. Under the circumstances it seemed fair. He is in the process of buying me out and in the meantime I'm renting a 3 bedroom house. We look after our children 50/50. He earns a lot more than me so he can afford to pay the mortgage on our old house, whereas I couldn't have managed. I work part time and claim tax credits and I'm managing ok so far.

Hope you manage to find a solution x

LeopardPrintSocks1 Fri 28-Oct-16 20:46:59

My ex left because he was the problem, he was abusive and I'm the main carer of the children, so he left. Not fair to up heave the kids out of their house so he could stay and there was no way I would leave the dc.

What's the main problem with your relationship?

Seasonofmist Fri 28-Oct-16 22:38:49

Thanks so much for your replies. Very interesting to hear your story Victoria. Glad to hear it's working out well for you. Sorry to hear you were abused Leopard, glad you are free now. There's no abuse, same as Victoria, we've just drifted apart massively. It's sad and very tempting to keep plodding along as it seems so so scary to make the move. Especially when financially we'd be much worse off and where we live rents are high. sad

Seasonofmist Fri 28-Oct-16 22:44:39

Also well done Victoria on making it work. Very admirable. Did you feel very sad at having to move out? Or relish a new start? I think to be honest I would feel jealous if he got to stay here and I had to go.

Anyone else here had a partner who didn't want to leave?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now