Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

how to get personal belongings back after breakup

(4 Posts)
12345a Mon 17-Oct-16 22:28:13

My partner and I broke up after almost 11 years. I moved out a month ago and am living with friends and family temporarily. I have realised that I have left s few things in his house and also some valuables in a holiday home. He says he will give them back but I have to continuously nag for them and am still waiting. It's causing stress and acronomy. All I want are my things. I don't understand why he is delaying handing them back. Any advice?

reallyanotherone Mon 17-Oct-16 22:31:09

No sorry. Never manged it.

It was even part of the divorce, but short of going round there and breaking in (they had changed the locks) and taking it by force nothing we could do.

Lost everything, clothes, personal items, household stuff. Had left the house with a weekend bag.

12345a Mon 17-Oct-16 22:49:43

I am so sorry for you. I have got most of my things and don't want to string things out any more than I have to. I walked away with nothing if his.
The belongings in the holiday home are important, everything else isn't as they can be replaced.
I think he is trying to control the situation and it's a power struggle. So it's mental rather than legal tactics!

user1475501383 Mon 17-Oct-16 22:54:14

If they're clearly your personal belongings and not shared, then I believe it's a possibility to go to the house and call the police if ex refuses to give you your things. I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure there are some rights for things like this. Might be an idea to call the police matters helpline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now