Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sorting out maintenance?

(4 Posts)
D0ni Tue 04-Oct-16 14:21:21

Separating with hubby and we need to sort out our maintenance arrangements. I'm clueless as who we should see for advice? Is it a family lawyer? or someone else.

Should we go with an idea of what we want to do? We'll both be buying separate houses shortly and I'm assuming we will need something formally arranged before we apply for mortgages. Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated?

hellsbellsmelons Tue 04-Oct-16 14:26:20

It really depends on what the arrangements are for the kids.
Is it 50:50??
Will you be resident parent?
Once you figure that out you can sort the rest out.

D0ni Tue 04-Oct-16 14:37:10

I'll be resident parent with kids possibly staying with him 1 night a week

Cabrinha Tue 04-Oct-16 16:07:28

Why only 1 night and why only possibly?

The CMS website will tell you what the minimum legal maintenance requirement is.
A solicitor on your side can advise what is a realistic split of assets.
An impartial mediator can help you agree together how to divide both access and assets.

But the people who have to decide what's right for the children are their parents - and then the courts, if you can't.

"Possibly one night" doesn't sound in their best interests for a close ongoing relationship with both parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now