Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I trust my gut feeling about this guy

(46 Posts)
smokeandmirrors999 Tue 04-Oct-16 13:14:44

I've been dating someone I met from Tinder for a few weeks now. Our first date was very full on, he came on strong and professed his feelings for me and pushed for exclusivity very early on. I know this is a red flag of a player but I decided to wait and see how things progressed.

The problem is I can't seem to shake the feeling that he isn't what he seems

He repeatedly asks if I am still chatting to other men online and I reassure him but then there are times when he says he disappears, doesn't answer his phone and doesn't call when he says he would.

Last night for example, we spent the whole day together for the first time and he left early afternoon. He said he had to drop some things at his sisters house and he would call me when he was leaving and come over if it wasn't too late. I haven't heard from him since 6pm last night and his whatsapp shows he hasn't been on since 9pm.

This isn't the first time he has done this and flits between being really full on to going AWOL.

I feel quite disrespected that he couldn't even send a text to say he wasn't coming over.

I really do like him but I don't feel ready to be exclusive as there are certain things I expect from a relationship (such as calling when you say you will) but because it's such early days I don't feel able to pull him up on it.

Should I trust my gut or am I being paranoid?

everythingis Tue 04-Oct-16 14:11:10

Sounds v ropey. You can either take it as the red flag it is or give him a chance after you have said 'flakey contact is not acceptable!!' And make h understand you will bum him if he does it again.

suspiciousofgoldfish Tue 04-Oct-16 21:52:47

Trust your gut! I speak from experience. ended up spending the most depressing year of my life (so far) riding the crazy emotional seesaw that is otherwise known as Fancying A Total Arsehole.

Do yourself a favour and bin him off now.

TheNaze73 Wed 05-Oct-16 07:51:49

I agree with all of the above. The mysterious, disappearing act is a pull/push male dating tactic, that is utter bollocks.
Kick him into touch

AnyFucker Wed 05-Oct-16 07:53:40

Gut. Always.

Sierra259 Wed 05-Oct-16 07:56:20

Yep, bin him. If he was as keen as he professes to be, he wouldn't be mucking you about.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 05-Oct-16 07:59:52

He doesn't sound like a player, he sounds like a drama llama. If you ended up in a relationship with him it would be full of big declarations and big arguments.

SandyY2K Wed 05-Oct-16 08:00:09

The lack of courtesy to let you know he wasn't coming over would be enough to not get serious.

0dfod Wed 05-Oct-16 08:00:55

Delete block next. Simple.

PoldarksBreeches Wed 05-Oct-16 08:05:13

If you have to ask whether you should trust your gut I question whether you should be dating tbh

LesisMiserable Wed 05-Oct-16 09:29:57

I would say nothing and effectively get on with your life and if he pops up again if youre free to see him - great , date him again if not thats fine too. You dont want exclusivity yet so its no skin off your nose is it. Let him come to you. If he doesnt so be it.

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 05-Oct-16 09:31:36

You don't even need us to tell you do you? I mean really? You know the answer to this.

Myusernameismyusername Wed 05-Oct-16 09:32:57

I also wasted time with one of these and it's no fun on that roller coaster. Tell him you want to rip that ticket up but I suspect he will just carry on as he has been. Def get yourself back out there and don't wait around for him to commit because this is about as good as he can manage no doubt

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 05-Oct-16 09:40:56

Smokey, you are lining yourself up for a big fall !
Trust your gut, your inner voice, and you won't go far wrong.
Lose the millstone, you are about to place around your neck.
Sorry to be harsh, I've been there.
It's always nice to receive attention, but this is not healthy attention.
Be kind to yourself, keep browsing ! 🙂

smokeandmirrors999 Wed 05-Oct-16 11:36:03

Thanks everyone,

I managed to post this about 10 times so sorry for the duplicates.

I guess it's unanimous then, I should bin him. He ended up texting around 11am, all very casual and no apology for not calling the night before.

I pulled him up in it and he apologised saying he's been single for 2 years so is out of practice. Surely it's a no brainer that you apologise when you don't call. Bet he doesn't do that to his mates.

I'm already on the rollercoaster and finding it hard to get off. After doing OLD for 6 months he's the first one I've been excited about.

The biggest problem is that I've managed to play into his hands. He messes up, I end things, he says fine, I miss him and end up being the one apologising

hellsbellsmelons Wed 05-Oct-16 12:03:03

Oh dear!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 05-Oct-16 12:08:09

Smokey, now that you recognise the pattern, you are in a position to do something about it. It's great to feel excited about a new partner, and you will again, if you let yourself. Next time, try to go for a man who isn't up himself, or in your face. You deserve so much more, and it's out there for the taking !

Emmageddon Wed 05-Oct-16 12:09:05

Oh no he's not right for you, regardless of him 'being out of practice' - you don't lose the knack of being thoughtful and courteous.

Move on, there's going to be someone out there for you who isn't like this.

smilingeyes11 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:10:50

Why do you have such low self esteem that you go back to him and apologise? I would suggest working on yourself and being single before you get involved with anyone for a long time. Past relationships - are you following a pattern of rubbish men here?

Lottapianos Wed 05-Oct-16 12:16:00

'I pulled him up in it and he apologised saying he's been single for 2 years so is out of practice'

Yeah. I'm sure your life is quite busy enough as it is, and you're not pining for a project that involves teaching a rude self-involved arsehole basic manners

Red flags all over your post OP. Run a mile from him and take smiling's advice to spend some time working on your own self esteem

adora1 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:16:03

FGS, the man is unreliable, already OP, he's rude and has no manners, that's enough to end it, never mind the AWOL moments.

Myusernameismyusername Wed 05-Oct-16 12:18:26

Ok what should worry you is why he excites you! He's a bad boy. That's why he's exciting. You need to try giving the ones who seem dull a chance and try to find exciting things out about them!

SymbollocksInteractionism Wed 05-Oct-16 12:19:36

Get rid otherwise you're in for a life of unnecessary drama and upset.

gingina Wed 05-Oct-16 12:20:48

So he has pushed you into 'exclusivity' even though you aren't ready for that and he is already treating you badly, and somehow YOU end up apologising to HIM???
He's got you dangling on a string.
Take back control or he will mess with your head.

CatNip2 Wed 05-Oct-16 12:24:40

Should I trust my gut feeling about this guy?

yes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now