Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

My mum has no filter and I'm fucking furious

(7 Posts)
RedGrapeCornSnake Mon 03-Oct-16 16:36:33

My mum has a new boyfriend, very new, literally only known him a few weeks.

Today is her birthday so we've been out and about and she popped into the conversation, oh so casually, that she's told this new boyfriend a very embarrassing and private piece of information about me. I've only told her about this (I have a crush on a work colleague- it's stupid and embarrassing and I do not want my DH to know as I think he'll be hurt) I have spoken to not a single other soul about this. I thought it was blatantly obvious that it was private info but apparently not.

I didn't make a big deal about it today, apart from yelping and telling her it was supposed to be bloody private. I should be ok with him knowing because he won't tell anyone - but how the hell does she even know this, she barely bloody knows him.

I'm angry and mortified and venting. I have no one else to talk to and now I can't even trust my own mum

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Mon 03-Oct-16 16:40:06

Sounds like she is bigging herself up to him and making out she is trusted with other people's secrets! This may actually backfire if he takes it that she is a gossip with no respect for her own daughters private business. Maybe when you see him you might be tempted to return the 'favour' of sharing a juicey bit of your own? Tell her that!!

flapjackfairy Mon 03-Oct-16 18:06:08

That is awful and no wonder you are mad. You are right to be. I would be v careful about what you tell her in future. You should be able to trust your own mother! She has badly let you down

RedGrapeCornSnake Mon 03-Oct-16 19:49:09

I can't imagine the shitstorm and guilt trips I'd get if I embarrassed her in front of him, I've not even met him yet but I'm supposed to be this weekend, not sure I want to anymore.

I think I will just have to keep stuff to myself now, which sucks. I really needed an outlet for these stupid feelings

CaptinMuma Mon 03-Oct-16 20:12:13

I'd be cross too 🤔 let your outlet be here until you have forgiven her.

RedGrapeCornSnake Mon 03-Oct-16 22:21:09

Thanks, I'm hoping once she has a think about it she'll get why I'm so angry

YoungWillieMcBride Tue 04-Oct-16 07:27:57

I hope she does.

Until then, I'd be very careful about what you tell her. My mother used to tell her boyfriends everything I told her. Some of the things were really private and personal, but she told me that, "there are no secrets between us" and "I'm not keeping things from him".

I tried to explain that keeping my confidence was not the same as keeping secrets from her boyfriend. But she didn't care and it was just one more nail in the coffin!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now