Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Everyone is getting married or having babies. Curse of 28.

(9 Posts)
roarityroar Sat 01-Oct-16 11:49:27

Urgh self pitying whine.

Just split with partner of nearly 2 years. Great friends still but stopped having sex (his choice) and I couldn't live like that. Other issues too but that was the main one for me.

I'm 28 nearly 29. I know that isn't so old but I always thought I might be settled by now. I had a very unsettled childhood but am finally in a good place, great career, own property in London, exercise a lot, good social life. I have never been one to 'look' for a relationship and don't want to start on the world of internet dating.

But, just, urgh. Another weekend, another 3 weddings, an engagement and a pregnancy announcement from friends/acquaintances. This is only slightly above the weekly average recently.

I just wish I could meet someone I loved enough to spend more than 1 or 2 years with. I'm great friends with a couple of exes because something was just missing or something changed.

Any good stories/tips/advice to raise my rather flat soul on this shitty rainy Saturday?

Sorry for self indulgence. I'm usually better than this.

whimsical1975 Sat 01-Oct-16 12:06:59

I felt the same when I turned 28. Then completely by chance met my now DH a month before I turned 29, married at 30, had DS at 31 and DD at 33... celebrated our 12yr anniversary this year. You'll meet the person that's perfect for you when you least expect it... honestly, it will happen.

SortingStuffStill Sat 01-Oct-16 12:10:00

I also met StBxdh at 28. Dont rush, i did and one loveless marriage, 2 kids and awful separation later, here we are. Be careful and trust your instincts. Don't settle!

Tropicana1980 Sat 01-Oct-16 12:16:44

I split up with a boyfriend I'd been with for 2.5 years when I was 29. It was a miserable time as all my friends were getting engaged etc. I also had to go back to renting a room in a grotty shared house as I had been living with my boyfriend in his property. It felt like a massive set back.

Then less than 2 months after the break up I started dating my now husband and I am soooooo much happier than I was with previous boyfriend.

You'll get through it but I understand it's hard being the single one at that stage of life.

roarityroar Sat 01-Oct-16 12:31:55

An ex of mine has the best family and we are close friends, he loves me still, I am so settled to just think why not...

roarityroar Sat 01-Oct-16 12:32:39

wow - freudian - meant to say tempted not settled! That's that one answered grin

Alwaysinahurrynow Sat 01-Oct-16 12:38:17

Been there, done that at 28 and 10 years on, been married for 5 years with husband for 7 and about to have DC3.

I hated those few years when everyone seemed to get married and I was always the single one. So I took up running quite seriously (met loads of people), worked hard and made huge steps forward at work and took up every night out/holiday going and made myself meet new people.

roarityroar Sat 01-Oct-16 12:43:04

That's a good idea. I have a lot of friends but many are left over from my former career (politics related) and therefore not entirely... healthy... and my close female friends are mostly in long term/married and therefore quite busy. I go to the gym a lot but maybe could start running outside, although it's getting cold and I HATE running outdoors grin .

I am planning to emotionally detox for the next few months as far as I can and have volunteered to be on call all over Christmas. I am then doing the Hoffman Process in January to hopefully get to grips with my childhood and how that may impact my talent at failing at romantic relationships.

It's just so scary.

roarityroar Sat 01-Oct-16 12:49:57

Actually that's bollocks. It isn't scary. It's annoying. I have the rest of life covered and I am a bit bored of dating and starting over. I'm quite happy on my own but it would be nice to find that love, future etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now