Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What do you expect from a relationship?

(17 Posts)
pinkpixie83 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:03:53

A simple question that doesn't seem to have a simple answer.

Is it purely about companionship or is it about more, support and feeling part of a team.

Bit of back ground, but Im not sure Im happy in my relationship, it doesn't feel like what i expected or wanted from a relationship of over two years.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 29-Sep-16 13:19:08

Kindness, equality and partnership, sex, and laughter. Not necessarily in that order

RedMapleLeaf Thu 29-Sep-16 13:24:51

Companionship, sex and fun are the main ones for me. I'm lucky in that financial security is not a need.

It's funny that you mention "team work". In my last LTR being a team was a really big part of our relationship. One of the things I'm getting used to my current relationship is that we aren't really a team. It's a bit of a learning curve!

TheNaze73 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:27:15

A best friend & all of what bitoutof said really.

OhNoNotMyBaby Thu 29-Sep-16 13:29:56

Selfishness, control, condescension, contempt.

That is what I expect, based on experience.

What I want = a wingman, someone who's got my back, a partner in everything from mowing the grass to cleaning the bathrooms, love, attention, respect, spontaneity, consideration, demonstrable affection...

Caz101x Thu 29-Sep-16 13:39:58

Honesty, respect, love, understanding, kindness, amongst others, sadly honesty not always forthcoming.

keely79 Thu 29-Sep-16 13:39:58

Best friend, sounding board, partner in every sense of the word. Someone who makes me laugh and still (over 10 years later) looks at me as though I'm the whole world. Someone who is up for sex when we're both in the mood, but doesn't get grumpy if I'm too tired or stressed. Someone who wholeheartedly believes that we are equal and that we both are raising our children and running our household. Someone who is kind - to me, to our children, to our extended families and to the world at large. Someone who will always be up for having an adventure with me.

I'm lucky.

Joysmum Thu 29-Sep-16 14:10:26

I expect that the relashionship I'm in supports me to be the best version of me I can be and that I do the same for him. Oh, and that we can have trust that we are exclusive.

GipsyHill Thu 29-Sep-16 14:36:44

Fun, kindness, honesty and good kissing grin

HandyWoman Thu 29-Sep-16 15:29:44

Am interested in the not being a team thing, RedMapleLeaf what do you mean by that?

PhoenixJasmine Thu 29-Sep-16 15:36:55

Companionship, support, affection, fidelity, honesty, equality.

PitilessYank Thu 29-Sep-16 15:39:11

Warmth, affection, sex, shared goals, a shared vision for the future, fun, intellectual stimulation.

doji Thu 29-Sep-16 15:40:59

Respect, kindness, fun, support, physical intimacy.

These days I wouldn't stay in a relationship where I didn't have all of these, because I know what it feels like now to have a good relationship, and anything less would be doing both of us a disservice.

BreatheDeep Thu 29-Sep-16 17:56:52

What keely79 said

Czerny88 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:32:47

To be lied to, let down, messed around, used for sex, and eventually ghosted. hmm

Czerny88 Thu 29-Sep-16 18:41:52

To be lied to, let down, messed around, used for sex, and eventually ghosted. hmm

Mistykit Thu 29-Sep-16 18:52:51

Abuse, manipulation, gas lighting, cheating.

What I would like: respect, consideration, kindness, fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now