Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sad about not having another dc

(8 Posts)
GipsyDanger Wed 28-Sep-16 20:08:33

Not really sure what I'm looking for, just venting. Me and dh, (we're 27&28) have a 6 month old pfb ds. I was never really overly broody and only ever seen myself as a "one and done" kind of person.
Seeing as I didn't enjoy my pregnancy for the most part and ended up with a emcs I am utterly shocked at myself that I would like another dc at some point. Dh does not. He had even said he would go for the snip, he is an amazing dad very hands on, but definitely doesn't want any more dc. I guess I'm just a little sad about it. I would have loved a dd but it's just not meant to be.

HereIAm20 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:19:43

Give it a bit more time. He is probably still a bit traumatised at what you went through and suffering those sleepness nights etc still. He will forget with time and in a couple of years time may change his mind.

He wouldn't be allowed the snip at such a young age. Friends who were 30 wanted one (they had 3 kids). They were not allowed to. They now have 5 kids!

GipsyDanger Wed 28-Sep-16 20:22:07

The thing is we have a unicorn baby, slept amazingly, great happy temperament. He thinks we'd never strike gold twice

Phillipa12 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:31:26

I have 4 dc and they have all been unicorn babies, so your dh is wrong on that one!

offside Wed 28-Sep-16 20:36:27

I'd give it a bit more time, and don't take for granted your 'unicorn' baby, this can allllllllll change over night.

I was extremely broody when my DD was about 6 months old but circumstances meant it wasn't the right time to have another one and I'm so glad it wasn't. My DD is now 2 and we've both gone from wanting 3/4 children to most probably not having any more as we want to be able to give her the best life possible with as much opportunity, travel and comfort as we can. This does tear at my heartstrings a bit as I would still love another one, but I'm so wrapped up in my DD and the love I have for her, I don't want to miss anything she does, that I think I'll happily settle for the one.

Just think as well, if you have another one soon, you're not going to be able to dedicate as much time to your DS and experience the important milestones he will reach as fully, if you had another baby who needed more of you. And let me tell you, my DD does something new and amazing every day! I love being able to experience that with her and give her my full undivided attention.

GipsyDanger Wed 28-Sep-16 20:41:47

I would be thinking when ds was 4/5. Who knows what the future will bring. Ds is just so amazing right now, he laughs, smiles and babbles I think to myself I could totally do this again. Maybe once he's a toddler I'll think differently

PeppasNanna Wed 28-Sep-16 22:44:19

Your both so young!

Your dc is very little. In a couple of years, everything will be different.

Don't make any long term decisions just yet!

SpiritedLondon Wed 28-Sep-16 22:59:04

Jeepers you've only just popped one out really. A couple of years down the line when the whole traumatic stuff is a distant memory he might feel a bit more open to the idea. Don't go making any dramatic decisions one way or another

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now