Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

found a necklace

(226 Posts)
qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Mon 26-Sep-16 15:43:25

Posting here for more advice than when posted on chat. Found a necklace today with a card which said thank you for the gift but I can not accept it. It is from a work acquitance. The necklace is a figure of 8 with a diamond. Normally if dh wants a pressie for anybody I get it wrap it provide card etc so this is very out of character. We haven't been getting on but this has shaken me. Am I over reacting

fastdaytears Mon 26-Sep-16 15:44:59

No I wouldn't say you were overreacting at all

Do you know the acquaintance?

iloveberries Mon 26-Sep-16 15:46:30

Sounds like that moment In "love actually"

Sorry OP flowers

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Mon 26-Sep-16 15:47:19

I know her to say hello to that is all

PamDooveOrangeJoof Mon 26-Sep-16 15:48:25

No you are not overreacting!

What is his (lame) excuse for giving an 'acquaintance' a diamond infinity necklace

Whatever he is up to - doesn't sound like she is interested

pocketsaviour Mon 26-Sep-16 15:51:06

I'd try to get a look at his phone, facebook and/or email before confronting.

It sounds like he's been pursuing and she's not interested. Is he in a senior position to her? Add a possible sexual harassment claim to the sheet sad

hellsbellsmelons Mon 26-Sep-16 15:52:26

Figure 8 is for eternity! Well a sideways one anyway!
I'd be doing some serious snooping.
It may be he has been obsessing about a woman and now he is giving her gifts she is feeling uncomfortable and unable to accept?

What does your gut tell you?

DramaInPyjamas Mon 26-Sep-16 15:54:25

I think a figure of 8 necklace means infinity or something along those lines, it's not the sort of thing you'd innocently give to a work colleague as a gift. sad

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Mon 26-Sep-16 16:03:29

Not sure I want to confront him he willl lie

Happybunny19 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:12:21

If you don't want to confront him can you check messages, email etc? I would freak if my oh bought another woman jewellery because it would be completely out of character. Is he acting any differently lately? Going out more, using his mobile more or taking extra care of his appearance?

magoria Mon 26-Sep-16 16:12:53

Not very helpful but

Put it on and see what he says when he comes home.

Don't say a thing yourself just let him talk.

Doesntfitthemould Mon 26-Sep-16 16:14:11

Was it hidden away somewhere or left lying around? Not that it makes much difference I know.

allsfairinlove Mon 26-Sep-16 16:17:12

Where did you find it?

hellsbellsmelons Mon 26-Sep-16 16:19:37

Is he generally a liar?
Have you encountered this sort of thing before?
If he's happy to buy jewellery for other women then I can only assume he has form?

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Mon 26-Sep-16 16:26:55

I found it in an envelope in his study went to empty thebin and tripped over a pile of papers which it was at the bottom off. Never encountered this before but he was away at a conference at the beginning of this month and this work person was also there. He did his own washing when he got back whilst I was at work which is also out of character

TheNaze73 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:29:11

Sounds very odd OP. You must confront it surely for your own sanity

Evergreen17 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:31:19

Put it on and wait for him. Look at his face. You will know.
You probably know already, sorry OP

KungFuPandaWorksOut Mon 26-Sep-16 16:33:13

I like magoria and evergreens suggestion! Watch him squirm

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Mon 26-Sep-16 16:34:03

Not sure he would notice

laurenandsophie Mon 26-Sep-16 16:34:59

OP, you suspect it's not innocent, which is why you think he'll lie and why you don't want to 'confront' him. But what do you think would help you out? Is there any way you could somehow explain that you know what it all means, and ask him where he wants to go from here, basically (relationship-wise, I mean)?

SandyY2K Mon 26-Sep-16 16:35:42

Well he's definetly interested in another woman, but she's knocked him back. If you can't speak to it about him, decide for yourself if this is a marriage you wish to stay in.

What is the state of your relationship at the moment?

qwertyuiopasdfghjkl Mon 26-Sep-16 16:37:22

I think the relationship is over just need some time to come to terms with it all

SapphireStrange Mon 26-Sep-16 16:52:04

Oh dear sad; it does sound bad. Sorry OP. You should definitely make him explain himself.

expatinscotland Mon 26-Sep-16 17:00:40

I'd do some digging. And wear that necklace.

Cabrinha Mon 26-Sep-16 17:21:00

If you wait until Xmaa you can have her second hand rejected necklace.
To match her second hand rejected would be suitor.
I bet he gives it to you
You poor thing flowerswhat an arsehole.
I cannot think of an innocent explanation for that.
He will, of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now