Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Heart Palpitations (not in a good way!)

(21 Posts)
Ringonrighthand Wed 21-Sep-16 15:11:17

Hi,

I'm looking for some reassurance really, I split with my ex P in June, we were due to get married and he decided he didnt want to. We have an almost 5 year old daughter, together 8 years. We cancelled all the wedding stuff, I picked up my dress and am trying to sell it, etc and he has moved out now (he stayed on my sofa for almost two months while he was waiting for his new flat to be available).

I keep getting heart palpitations. They happen at any point of day, there doesn't seem to be any certain triggers it can be anything. If its not my heart racing its my eye twitching. I have been to my (brilliant) doctor who ran some tests and believes it is anxiety/stress related. I have an assessment booked with Healthy Minds tomorrow.

Has anyone else experienced this? And can please tell me it doesn't last forever?? Thank you.

toots321 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:30:55

If I'm stressed/anxious I get them. The more you panic when you get them the worse they seem. I try to breathe through them and stay calm. Try to take my mind off them.
Sorry to hear about your breakup cake

princessmi12 Wed 21-Sep-16 15:37:59

Yes I have experienced this after separation with DH. Doctors say try to cut down on coffee and so on. My doctor said I need good rest,almost immediately assumed its stress related.I went on holiday ,it did help.
The palpitations don't last forever.The sooner you relax, feel happy and peaceful the sooner they will go away.

MisterT373 Wed 21-Sep-16 16:19:38

I've had them for over 8 weeks since things started going wrong. I am still alive although I am sure I've lost a year of activity of my heart muscles.

UpYerGansey Wed 21-Sep-16 16:23:10

Yes stress-related. They will go but you can help yourself via breathing techniques. I find yoga balances me a lot.
I am also prone to cystitis attacks, and more recently a form of psoriasis on the palms of my hands (nice!)
All stress. Fun times.

Shayelle Wed 21-Sep-16 17:23:28

I used to have panic disorder, horrible it was, one of the symptoms were that. Its very scary but promise it does not last forever. Im sorry for the horrible time youre going through flowers

Myusernameismyusername Wed 21-Sep-16 18:22:31

I found that totally cutting out caffeine basically vanished mine completely!

Myusernameismyusername Wed 21-Sep-16 18:23:18

As in, zero caffeine. I had an ecg they couldn't find anything and that fixed it

VanillaSugarandChristmasSpice Wed 21-Sep-16 18:25:15

Sorry - another one who says cut out the coffee sad

Ringonrighthand Wed 21-Sep-16 20:02:03

Thank you all, really appreciate the comments and advice. I don't drink much coffee, one sachet a day if that and no tea but have prob been over indulging in chocolate for my heart ache ;) it's definitely worse if I drink alcohol too so I'm cutting that out. Been a bit better today after letting out some stress with a good crying session last night plus I haven't had to see my ex today which always sets me on edge. I guess it's baby steps for now...

Shayelle Wed 21-Sep-16 20:03:49

When will he move out op? Having him there surely makes you feel so much worse sad

Shayelle Wed 21-Sep-16 20:05:12

Oh sorry i see he has moved out.. Is he over every day to see your daughter?

cheeseismydownfall Wed 21-Sep-16 20:27:05

I get them too. If you are low on iron or magnesium it can make them worse, so that is something to consider maybe? Did the doctor check your bloods?

Ringonrighthand Wed 21-Sep-16 20:32:42

He moved out a month ago. We had almost two months living together while separated until he left, he now has her one night of the weekend (she stays at his) and sees her in the week for a couple of hours sometimes putting her to bed in my house. I definitely feel more relaxed when I don't have to see him!

Ringonrighthand Wed 21-Sep-16 20:34:17

I take magnesium and zinc vitamins most days so should be ok with that. My eye has been twitching loads too so it really feels like a nerve thing..

Ringonrighthand Wed 21-Sep-16 20:35:49

Sorry missed the bloods question yes he checked my bloods, ecg, chest x Ray and I have a heart scan booked in a few weeks. All results were good so far.

I think half the problem is I'm so angry with my ex (and some of his family) but I'm being "amicable" so I can't show it!! angry

FlorenceandtheWashingMachine Thu 22-Sep-16 01:03:33

It's a horrible feeling! I am in a very similar situation and had what felt like constant heart palpitations earlier in the year.

I have managed to get things under control with a low-dose antidepressant and a very good stress management course. Have now halved tablet dose and focus on meditation, Qi Gong and exercise.

It has taught me that I need to prioritise my health and not stretch myself too thin.

I hope that you feel better soon. It is possible although I know it may not feel that way now. Be kind to yourself :-)

MrsBertBibby Thu 22-Sep-16 09:45:08

Can you use the childfree time to take gentle exercise? Walking somewhere with plenty of green, trees, fresh air, so you can breathe calmly can be great.

Another vote for low dose ssri, I finally agreed to try sertraline for my hamster wheeling mind, and it was like a miracle, wish I'd done it years ago.

IreallyKNOWiamright Thu 22-Sep-16 16:27:34

I get them but that's because of heart issues. Ask them to check your bloods and get an ecg ; if they get worse before then go to a and e. Agree with cutting down on caffeine and stuff too.

blankmind Thu 22-Sep-16 16:47:27

A friend of mine found wearing a fitbitHR helped a lot with her anxiety as she was able to track her heartrate, sleep quality and so much more. She could also tell when her heart felt as though it was pounding hard enough to come out of her chest that it was in fact within normal limits, just by glancing at the reading on her wrist.

Ringonrighthand Thu 22-Sep-16 21:44:56

Thanks again ladies, lots more advice and it's all appreciated!

I wear a charge HR, do lots of exercise and 10k steps per day. I do check it when my heart races and like pp mentioned above it's always within a reasonable range. I had a phone assessment with the healthy minds team today and they have referred me for a course for dealing with anxiety and relaxation techniques so that should help. Ive started taking Calms too, my mum swears by them.

All in all feeling better today, no word from the ex for two days so that helps Altho brings another question - how can he not make contact with his daughter?? I just don't understand that part sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now