Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Books on relationships

(12 Posts)
swarri Tue 20-Sep-16 22:24:57

Does anyone know any good books about "how to talk to my wife"? My DW is missing out and our marriage is over unless I can find a way to give her what she needs, and I feel very ill equipped. Please help!

Myusernameismyusername Tue 20-Sep-16 22:35:28

I don't know any books but can you elaborate? What is it she is missing out on?

swarri Tue 20-Sep-16 22:53:10

She's missing out on emotional connection

PastoralCare Wed 21-Sep-16 00:22:17

"Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" is a good place to start.

TheLastRoseOfSummer Wed 21-Sep-16 06:04:02

"Women are from Venus, Men are from Mars" is a good place to start.

No it's not, it's utter nonsense.

What do you mean, OP, "missing out on emotional connection"? What is the reason for this?

MsStricty Wed 21-Sep-16 06:37:09

How about investigating therapy for yourself, OP? We can only help ourselves rather than trying to give someone else what they need.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 22-Sep-16 12:04:21

Have you looked at books recommended on the Relate website?

www.relate.org.uk/relationship-help/self-help-tools/book-shop/how-do-relationships-step-step-guide-nurturing-your-relationship-and-making-love-last

Please reflect that you might equally ask, How to listen to my DW. (Same applies to listening to a DH). Emotional connection in marriage can refer to trust, prioritising your bond with your DW, doing your best to listen without being critical, taking on stresses and problems together so no-one feels unsupported. If sex or lack of it comes into this be careful not to rush to repair what you call the emotional connection with a different target in mind.

keepingonrunning Thu 22-Sep-16 14:21:18

John Gottman's books are highly respected, especially as they are evidence based.

TheNaze73 Thu 22-Sep-16 16:00:10

Just as importantly OP, how do you feel about it? Do you feel connected? It's a 2 way street, so don't let her pin it all on you

ExpatTrailingSpouse Thu 22-Sep-16 16:56:47

yes, john gottman books are very good. Try "What Makes Love Last". He also has some short stuff you can download for free - things about the Four Horsemen, etc. And a couple short exercises. Also you can try the Five love languages books.

ExpatTrailingSpouse Thu 22-Sep-16 18:05:10

A hand out we got from our counsellor on conflict resolution, communication types, and some relationship building techniques. Next post will have the last two pages.

ExpatTrailingSpouse Thu 22-Sep-16 18:06:00

Relationship building exercises.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now