Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Fallen out the the in laws. Well f I l to be precise. I feel sick. It is gorrid

(132 Posts)

I have no recollection of events but FIL called tonight to say that due to my spiteful and unkind behaviour he hasn't slept for a month and they will not be coming to stay ever again.
They will see the grandchildren and dh but he will no longer see me.

Now I have had issues with him but I suck it up and whinge on here or to friends. I am the most fucking hospitable daughter in law he could hope to find.

Dh is distraught but totally backing me to his dad saying that it sounds like he is talking about a different person but good lord FIL is sticking to his guns.

Dh is an only child we live his mum and dad no matter that they have frustrating habits and gave no idea how to get through this.
Any tips greatly recieved. Really don't want things to get worse. Only to heal and her better.

Love his mum and dad not live

Mycatsabastard Mon 19-Sep-16 22:37:17

Does his dad have memory problems or something? Surely he has specified what it is you are supposed to have done/said? If not then maybe he's mixing you with someone else.

Regardless, I'd want to say you either see us all or none of us.

SoleBizzz Mon 19-Sep-16 22:37:20

What does he say you have done? X

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Mon 19-Sep-16 22:37:28

Sounds like he has mh issues and its not really you that is his problem - glad your dh is standing by you. I wouldn't be happy my kids were spending time with someone who had such little regard for me tho.

MaryMargaret Mon 19-Sep-16 22:37:48

I think that sounds a bit manipulative tbh. Do they have form for things being 'all about them'?

It isn't mil at all he has said I waited till she was out of the room and ran across the kitchen sat really close to him and with a spiteful look told him to get out of my kitchen.
He said that was one example and he had many !

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 19-Sep-16 22:46:34

If it's clearly bullshit why are you entertaining it?

He is 76 years old and young and sprightly travels alit no known health issues.
I have apologised that he is upset through something he feels I have done but asked him to really think about whether I am spiteful and unkind to which he replied "yes"

Chipping because it has to be about something. Even if the event is fabricated. We have a great working relationship as I said there are issues but it has never been anything but annoyance factor.

gratesnakes Mon 19-Sep-16 22:50:50

Do you think he has dementia?

lazydog Mon 19-Sep-16 22:50:53

Sounds like the onset of dementia to me.

lazydog Mon 19-Sep-16 22:51:37

x-posted with gratesnakes sad

Hockeydude Mon 19-Sep-16 22:51:38

If someone said they wouldn't see me but they would see my children, my answer would be no, you fucking won't.

PikachuSayBoo Mon 19-Sep-16 22:54:32

Have you spoken to MIL to see if she's noticed any odd behaviour from your fil? Or to ask of she agrees with him?

DoreenLethal Mon 19-Sep-16 22:57:10

Well Did you run across the kitchen and tell him to get out?

If not then tell him to crack on, that he will not be seeing the kids until he apologises to you for making up tales.

maz210 Mon 19-Sep-16 22:57:19

I'd also suggest dementia, can your husband take his mum aside for a chat if this is out of character for your father in law?

PeppasNanna Mon 19-Sep-16 23:01:21

This needs to be addressed propley.
You either did say it.
Or you didn't.

If you didn't, hes lying or confused.

Difficult to know which is worse.

GabsAlot Mon 19-Sep-16 23:19:50

if u didnt do any of what he says u seriouly need to talk to hyour mil about possible onset dementia

what is she saying about all of this

Rubies12345 Mon 19-Sep-16 23:19:55

Even if the event is fabricated

How do you not know if it happened? Were you drunk?

Bogeyface Mon 19-Sep-16 23:23:11

You say you cant remember it happening, so does that mean it could have happened when you were pissed and cant remember or that you know for a fact that it is untrue?

SandyY2K Tue 20-Sep-16 00:24:45

he has said I waited till she was out of the room and ran across the kitchen sat really close to him and with a spiteful look told him to get out of my kitchen.

Well did you say this or not? You say even if it's fabricated. Why would you say that if you never said it.

Unless it's alzheimers or dementia, then from your view he has mistaken or made it up.

Somehow I'm not getting the impression you actually get along with your FIL before this happened.

The poster who said it's all or none of us.. that is ridiculous. FIL can choose not to see her.

If my FIL said this I'd be doing something more than this TBH.

AmeliaJack Tue 20-Sep-16 00:28:01

If it's not true you need to get DH and MIL to get him to a doctor asap.

SandyY2K Tue 20-Sep-16 00:31:50

If someone said they wouldn't see me but they would see my children, my answer would be no, you fucking won't.

Because the kids only belong to the woman right? The child has 2 parents.
What gives you the right to do this?
FIL wants to see his son and grandchild.

OP - you in one breath say your the most hospitable DIL. But you are clearly irritated and annoyed by FIL. Don't you think he might have picked up on that?

there are issues but it has never been anything but annoyance factor.

SandyY2K Tue 20-Sep-16 00:37:04

I have no recollection of events but FIL called tonight to say......

What is it you don't recollect? Him calling tonight or the incident FIL has described.

Do you have problems with your memory?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now