Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Odd situation with inlaws after an item was damaged

(14 Posts)
KramerVSKramer Sun 18-Sep-16 21:35:38

Just after some perspective here.

My 2 year old's gocart was innocently damaged by my FIL recently after he reversed over it.

Initially he stated that he'd repair or replace it which was fine.

A week passed and nothing so i sent him a text to say I'd found a replacement (it's only a cheap one £35) and that I'd sort a replacement. No reply.

A week on and we were passing the shop so I bought a new one. We've seen them today and I made a point of showing it to him expecting him to say "oh let me reimburse you" but no, nothing other than "I could've bought parts for £10.

He didn't communicate that and we are left (not for the first time as they have form for being awkward) feeling really frustrated that they haven't just sorted this out.

Any thoughts?

Herald Sun 18-Sep-16 21:39:29

Sorry I disagree , I would see it as an accident and wouldn't expect a family member to reimburse me or contribute ..

Toohardtofindaproperusername Sun 18-Sep-16 21:40:52

It was innocent/accident and they are your in laws. I wouldn't be expecting anything tbh. Nice if they insisted or sorted on doing so, but I def wouldn't go searching for them to honour any comment made about replacing. I'd let it go... Life's too short

category12 Sun 18-Sep-16 21:41:26

Is the £35 worth the drama? He's in the wrong, for sure. But family.

How much do you need the money vs the aggro. I was going to say good will, but it isn't - it's either kick up a stink and get the money (or not) or let it go (and think they're arses). Probably little in between in way of choices.

KramerVSKramer Sun 18-Sep-16 21:43:06

Yes. I see that. It's just that he offered and then seems to have renaged on that. I just found it strange.

KramerVSKramer Sun 18-Sep-16 21:45:27

Reneged.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Sun 18-Sep-16 22:13:45

Just let it go. People offer all sorts in moments of guilt, or happiness or sadness or any intense emotion. The learning is not to take it /words too seriously until it actually materialises or shows itself in action.... He probably felt bad and saying he'd replace it eases that feeling...

GenerallyOffended Sun 18-Sep-16 22:19:11

He is totally in the wrong but yes, leave it.

Spend 35 pounds less on his Christmas present.

winkywinkola Sun 18-Sep-16 22:19:21

Just forget about it.

If I had damaged something accidentally I would definitely have replaced it. It's what you do.

However they clearly feel they shouldn't have to.

Don't push it. But log it. Next time you break something at their house don't offer to pay. They've set the way forward.

TallulahTheTiger Sun 18-Sep-16 22:22:45

Where was it left that he reversed over it? Just wondering!

WalrusGumboot Sun 18-Sep-16 22:27:07

Could it be that he forgot he said that?

My in laws are constantly repeating themselves and act weird generally. I'm sure it's something to do with their age!

AidingAndAbetting Sun 18-Sep-16 22:29:54

How did he manage to reverse over it? Was it left out?

It was an accident. While I agree it would be the done thing to replace it, it doesn't seem like they are going to that, so in the interests of family harmony, I think you have to let this one go.

stonecircle Sun 18-Sep-16 22:36:04

I'd be more concerned that he could reverse over a go kart. What if your DS had been in it?!

Puddington Sun 18-Sep-16 23:10:44

i sent him a text to say I'd found a replacement (it's only a cheap one £35) and that I'd sort a replacement

Do you think he maybe took this to mean that you were just sorting it out yourself and didn't want/need him to put any money towards it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now