Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

OLD question

(16 Posts)
HuckfromScandal Sun 18-Sep-16 20:32:21

How long would you wait on someone to turn up to a first date, before you walk?

And would you ever give a second chance, if there was no reason for it??

Itsnotmycoat Sun 18-Sep-16 20:35:31

Half an hour.

Whether I would re arrange would depend on their reason.

CanWeNot Sun 18-Sep-16 20:36:29

Depends where it was, if it was inside and warm I'd wait an hour, absolute max. Outside probably more like 30 mins and I wouldn't give another chance.

rumred Sun 18-Sep-16 20:36:39

itsnot you're generous. Id say 15 minutes tops unless they have text to warn you

DanniiMinogue Sun 18-Sep-16 20:38:01

It depends where the date is to be honest but I've waited for 20/25 min before.

I don't normally give a second chance unless there is a good reason and the person advised by text/whatsapp that they were delayed on route.

SquirmOfEels Sun 18-Sep-16 20:38:15

15-20 minutes. Anyone can run late, and if in London be down the tube and out of comms.

But I'd expect a call/text with apology and explanation at first reasonable opportunity.

And if none, or the reason was flaky, then no second chance.

HuckfromScandal Sun 18-Sep-16 20:40:05

Wow
30 mins to an hour!!!
That's a long time.

I texted when I arrived
I waited 10 mins and then left
No tect to say he was running late.

Apparently I am intolerant to have left so quickly.
My view is
First date - want to make right impression
And my time is precious.
Why would I wait - it then says I don't value myself or my own time!

niceupthedance Sun 18-Sep-16 20:40:52

20 minutes. And I wouldn't rearrange. Plenty more fish in the sea!

HuckfromScandal Sun 18-Sep-16 20:41:00

I live on Scotland
It was small town meet
Away from where I live
No traffic any direction

WhatTheActualFugg Sun 18-Sep-16 20:43:57

10 mins is quick IMO, but having said that if there's no attempt to contact you to explain the delay then it's not U to give up.

Sounds like you saved yourself a lot of hassle OP. Just think what else he could accuse of being 'intolerant' of hmm

CanWeNot Sun 18-Sep-16 21:22:50

I think ten minutes is a bit sharp but if he accused you of being intolerant then I don't think you would've hit it off, so nothing lost OP! Better luck next time!

Myusernameismyusername Sun 18-Sep-16 21:24:27

It would depend on transport etc if I was getting a train or something but I would prob wait 20 mins? And it would depend on their reaction

BubblingUp Sun 18-Sep-16 21:29:22

20 minutes, maybe 30 - and I don't think any man I have met has been on time or early. All are late anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I'm in a city with heavy traffic. The place is usually closer to where I am coming from.

XiCi Sun 18-Sep-16 21:31:52

If they hadn't contacted me with a reason for why they were running late I'd wait no longer than 5 minutes.
The fact he called you intolerant for not sitting round waiting for him to turn up whenever he felt like it makes him sound like a complete arsehole. Dodged a bullet there.

12purpleapples Sun 18-Sep-16 21:41:26

I think you did the right thing. You want someone who is bothered enough about making a good impression to at least be on time.

TheNaze73 Sun 18-Sep-16 22:51:44

I think you left too soon. You've probably both saved yourself a lot of bother

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now