Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To do with trust.

(3 Posts)
TheLittlestBear Sun 18-Sep-16 16:34:51

I'm a bit shaken up about something that I learned today. I'd love to hear what others think... although maybe I won't like the answers.

My parents are unmarried but appear happy together, the have created an empire and enjoy their lives together but my mother told me she doesn't want to get married incase things ever went pearshaped because 'you never truly know'. This stems from series of very bad relationships. The whole conversation implied that she doesn't trust my partner.

Surely you would know after all this time that you were with 'the one'. I've been with my partner 5 years and we have a child. I love my partner very much and he loves me. I would love to get married someday. I know its early in our relationship, but things are going extremely well, we have gone through a lot in the short years we have been together but I am just as in love with him and want to spend my life with him.

Is this lack of trust something that would only affect a person who had a history of awful (and I mean really awful) experiences with relationships.

Or am I being naïve thinking my currently wonderful relationship is not going to last. I feel sick writing this, but have to get it off my chest. Can't discus with anyone IRL.

jeaux90 Sun 18-Sep-16 17:10:17

My advice to any financially Independant woman is not to get married. I won't ever do it again when my ex tried to take me to the cleaners and I will certainly be bringing up my daughter with that ethos.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sun 18-Sep-16 17:15:14

Yes me too I'm afraid.

I took my marriage vows very seriously. Knew I would do it once and that was it.

Unfortunately I gave that one chance to the wrong one. Now I'm paying heavily for it, and will grow old pretty poor because of it.

Never again.

It's hard to say based on your relationship without knowing individuals deeply.

My DB for example, has a marriage like a rock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now