Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Please tell me it's normal...

(13 Posts)
GoldenOrb Sun 11-Sep-16 18:17:12

To go a bit off the rails after separating from a partner you have been unhappy with for 4 years?

Had the most crazy Friday night, did stuff I would never have done previously when still with H, and just want reassurance that going a bit wild is normal/acceptable?!

Myownperson Sun 11-Sep-16 18:42:32

I have no idea but it sounds healthier than moping. Assuming it was a fun type of crazy.

Sorry for my pointless reply but I remember you posting about mediation/contact arrangements. Hope it has all worked out OK.

GoldenOrb Sun 11-Sep-16 18:45:41

Yes, fun (and legal!) crazy!

I finally moved out on Monday. We have a transition arrangement for the next 6 months for living arrangements for the kids which I am really happy with. Who knows what will happen after that but for now it's ok.

Thanks for remembering me smile

Myusernameismyusername Sun 11-Sep-16 18:46:44

Yeah I did but I regret some things now but I suppose it's made me who I am now. I was a young mum and went crazy with freedom for a couple of years before I was 30

Am now settled down. Single and still have a crazy side now and then but generally boring

artlessflirt Sun 11-Sep-16 18:47:40

I did this when I broke up with my ex.

I was the one who instigated the break up, but was still a bit of a mess. Drank a lot, did a lot of things I wouldn't do, put myself in unsafe situations.

Breaking up with him was still the best thing I ever did, but did not find it easy at the time.

Hope you are ok.

GoldenOrb Sun 11-Sep-16 18:52:37

Yes I am the instigator here too. I'm doing OK but finding eating a struggle and have lost more weight than someone with a history of eating disorders should do.

NickiFury Sun 11-Sep-16 18:55:14

What did you do? <<nosy>> wink

I think it's ok, as long as it's not risky. You'll probably cringe when you get your sensible head back oh and look back at it but that's ok.

artlessflirt Sun 11-Sep-16 19:16:31

I found I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I was relieved, after being unhappy for so long I finally felt free. Particularly as he was quite controlling towards the end as well.

But it was also a massive adjustment, and I found that some of my 'celebratory' behaviour wasn't that at all, it was actually quite damaging and, sometimes, self destructive.

I lost weight, I drank more than I ate, I went out almost every night, befriended strangers; acted more crazy than I had in years.

Yes it was fun some of the time, but I did come to a point where I had to face up to what had happened, come back to reality and start acting like a semi sane adult again!

GoldenOrb Sun 11-Sep-16 20:17:03

I'll completely out myself to anyone who might know me if I say what it was! It wasn't that wild, but it was pretty out if character for me.

Myownperson Sun 11-Sep-16 20:58:56

Well fun and legal can't be too bad.
Hope everything works out for you. Take care.

(Did you stay out past 10pm?! That's my idea of crazy these days!)

GoldenOrb Sun 11-Sep-16 21:14:03

I got to bed at 5am!!! And back up with the kids at 7. Yesterday was hell but it was a fun night!!

Myownperson Sun 11-Sep-16 21:43:35

shockgrin

Myusernameismyusername Sun 11-Sep-16 22:06:57

I find myself still up at sunrise sometimes and am shock but will do it again haha.
Mine is always friend related, not man!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now