Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do I tell my friend I think her relationship is destructive?

(6 Posts)
Dollykazaver Sun 11-Sep-16 12:42:00

Or keep schtum and be there when it all blows up again?

MatildaTheCat Sun 11-Sep-16 12:49:13

We probably need a little more detail before being able to comment. smile

LoveRosie2008 Sun 11-Sep-16 12:50:35

I think most know when they are in a destructive relationship.

Dollykazaver Sun 11-Sep-16 13:01:00

He doesn't like her children, who have been through a rough time during her divorce. They're teens, their dad is doing the Disney dad thing after having behaved terribly. They can be rude and disrespectful and BF doesn't like it and doesn't want to spend time with them. This is the recurring pattern. She's torn in two.

Dollykazaver Sun 11-Sep-16 13:02:59

I'm afraid that if I say something then she will isolate herself further, as she's very keen to make it work.

TheLastRoseOfSummer Sun 11-Sep-16 13:15:10

It doesn't sound like a particularly destructive relationship from what you've said. It doesn't make him a dick because he doesn't want to spend time with someone else's rude and disrespectful teenagers.

However, it does sound as though she needs to concentrate on her children's emotional health though.

It's fine to have a boyfriend and not involve him with your children. I've had 2 relationships since I separated, neither was involved with the children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now