Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

No good can come of this, right?

(22 Posts)
champagnesupern0va Thu 08-Sep-16 22:12:05

I'm happily married with 2DS. I have met an ex a couple of times recently having not seen him for years. He is also happily married with children. I don't want to be in a relationship with him. At all. And the feeling is mutual. But.....there is something nice about meeting up though. If I'm honest, we are pretty flirty with each other. Is it possible to be friends with an ex??

MrsDc7 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:16:53

No

Myusernameismyusername Thu 08-Sep-16 22:17:47

Not when you flirt with them

TippiNoodlegruder Thu 08-Sep-16 22:18:17

Possibly. But not if you're flirting with one another.

MrsDc7 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:19:01

Well, possibly... Look at Simon Cowell. But from reading your post - it isn't as innocent as being just 'friends' is it. I wouldn't be flirty with an ex because it's disrespectful to my DH and I sure as shite wouldn't appreciate him being 'friends' with one of his exes. Step away from the ex xx

Rainbowdash88 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:19:04

I'd have to say no...Does your DH know you meet up with your ex? If so how does he feel about it?

Prawnofthepatriarchy Thu 08-Sep-16 22:22:39

It's an appalling idea unless starting an affair sounds like a plan. This is, I assume you realise, how they start.

LoveRosie2008 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:22:45

I would say it depends. It can be done, wouldn't care what anyone else thinks as its my life.

champagnesupern0va Thu 08-Sep-16 22:27:48

Yes, I told him before I met up with ex. He's fine about it. I would love to be friends with ex but just not sure it is possible. Both of us are flirty people anyway and it's so easy to fall back into the way we used to speak to each other. It is just flirting, nothing more but just not sure it's a good idea.........

Myusernameismyusername Thu 08-Sep-16 22:29:08

That's how affairs begin?

LoveRosie2008 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:32:38

It could be a bad idea but after finding out one ex had died kind of makes me look differently at it. Depends how much they mean to you?

NoMudNoLotus Thu 08-Sep-16 22:36:20

No it won't .

Leave him to his wife.

SherlockStones Thu 08-Sep-16 22:42:48

Meeting an ex and being flirty under the guise of being friends, not wanting a relationship whilst also feeling it's "nice" to meet up.

Yes this is a perfect idea and won't end badly at all.

Myusernameismyusername Thu 08-Sep-16 22:44:47

I really am friends with a couple of exes and we don't flirt with one another. We don't make each other feel good or exciting. We are just friends. I like them but the idea of kissing them makes me shudder now. We might talk about things that happened before but it's not all misty eyed and reminiscing it's factual and just chatting, for instance about nice food we might have eaten or a friend we know

LoveRosie2008 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:50:10

Yes and sometimes seeing them in the cold light of day takes any excitement out of it. Could even be boring.

Myusernameismyusername Thu 08-Sep-16 22:52:05

I think if someone is a nice person you can build a friendship but I have never felt like I was doing anything potentially wrong or that it was no good. Listen to that feeling!

AnyFucker Thu 08-Sep-16 22:53:39

Don't be a pillock

ladyformation Fri 09-Sep-16 00:33:24

I'm a flirty person. I'm friends with one serious ex. I do not flirt with him.

I don't want him getting the wrong idea, I don't want my DP feeling disrespected (and he probably wouldn't even care, but it's how I would like to be treated) and I never want to be tempted to be an idiot if my actual relationship went through a rough patch. I really value our friendship; it's a friendship that comes with boundaries but that's cool.

What you're doing doesn't sound cool - it sounds dangerous. I don't think you'd be asking if it wasn't.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Fri 09-Sep-16 00:59:15

Don't.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 09-Sep-16 01:07:29

Yes it is possible, one of my closest friends is an ex.

We don't flirt though, that side of things is long, long gone.

champagnesupern0va Fri 09-Sep-16 07:22:19

Thanks everyone - you've all confirmed what I thought! I just don't think we can be friends. We weren't friends before we were together and have no friends in common. We didn't part on bad terms (he moved away) so no bad feelings.

The last thing in the world I want to do is jeopardise my relationship (or his - I would never want to be ' that woman'), so best just to nip it in the bud now.

Have a lovely weekend everyone wine

Prawnofthepatriarchy Fri 09-Sep-16 09:47:07

You too wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now