Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Falling in Love

(16 Posts)
Dontknow12 Sun 04-Sep-16 18:16:50

After the ex and I broke up in May I met someone in July. Even though May was when he officially called it quits things hadn't been right for about a year prior to that.

I have known the new man for 6 weeks now and I feel like I'm falling in love with him. Is it too soon? I've not said anything to him although I feel like he feels the same. I don't want to say anything too early and ruin what we have.

Mamalicious16 Sun 04-Sep-16 18:31:59

Whoa! Slow down you've only known this person six weeks. Please be careful and see how you feel in a few months. Just don't want you to get hurt / fingers burnt

TheNaze73 Sun 04-Sep-16 20:29:15

Way too soon. 6 weeks would be staggering. I can't get my head around how you can fall in love in 6 weeks.

Put the brakes on.

DelicatePreciousThing1 Mon 05-Sep-16 00:10:28

You can fall in love pretty much at first sight, never mind six weeks.

DelicatePreciousThing1 Mon 05-Sep-16 00:11:15

You cannot choose it should happen in seven weeks, for instance. Ridiculous.

Lilacpink40 Mon 05-Sep-16 00:20:03

This is interesting to me as I have feelings for someone I've been dating for just under a month. It isn't love but I do care and know it could grow. My STBXH left me for OW in Jan so I'm constantly questioning whether I like him or like the idea of love. Then when I know I feel positive I start to pull back as I don't want to get hurt again.

On paper 6 weeks sounds too early, but how can love wait for a specific date?

CannotEvenDeal Mon 05-Sep-16 00:22:49

I fell in love with my dh within 3 days! He was recently divorced with a 2yo son. A lot of people told us that we were crazy. smile

We got engaged a couple of months later and married a year after that.

We're still together after 10 years, we have my 12yo darling dss full time and we're trying for our first baby together grin It's happens!

tipsytrifle Mon 05-Sep-16 00:23:07

You can fall into anything in six weeks; lust, infatuation, the desire to continue the relationship with enthusiasm. I think six weeks is too soon to call it "Love". But then I'm a sceptical crone who only realises after a zillion years how much shit I put myself through thinking I had Fallen In Love. What I had found was my own need and desire matched by idiots who wanted me to be exactly so. Keep yourself as Yourself and don't Fall at all. Rise instead. In time. Don't assume anything about what Love is or might be while in the rush of a whole load of emotion. Just my random thoughts.

SleepingTiger Mon 05-Sep-16 08:13:36

I read somewhere that we do not fall in love as much as love falls around us.

Like falling snow, just a flake or two at first and you don't notice it until very soon the ground is covered in soft white snowflakes that gradually build until it gets very deep indeed.

How soon we notice those flakes and how quickly they build and what effect they have on us is different for each of us and depends on a lot of things.

Mostly there is the anticipation of the snow storm, but sometimes snow can fall out of nowhere. Even overnight and the next day becomes very different to the day before.

I would like you to trust me on that. It can come from nowhere. 😄

But it's your own senses that count.

Purpledahlia88 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:39:47

Sleepingtiger I love that way of looking at it

OhhBetty Mon 05-Sep-16 11:35:17

I think it depends what you think "love" is. For me, it's someone you truly trust, and could count on to be there through all your highs and lows. I think 6 weeks is more likely lust. Of course it may well turn into love. That is my view on it though. People perceive love in different ways. For me I don't think I would ever feel like I knew someone until I had lived with them. But after having been hurt so very badly, I don't think I would admit to myself I was in love for a while!

FreckledLeopard Mon 05-Sep-16 12:00:26

You can fall in love in six weeks. Maybe hold off saying anything right now, but it's certainly possible.

horseygeorgie1 Mon 05-Sep-16 12:09:03

Yes of course you can fall in love that quickly. My Parents apparently knew the night they first went out they would be together, DF proposed 5 weeks later, they were married in 6 months and have been married for 40 years.
I was engaged to my XH after 4 weeks. It didn't work long term but I truly loved him. I have been with my new BF for 8 weeks (although have known him very well for 3 years) and I love him.

PastoralCare Mon 05-Sep-16 12:46:17

There is nothing wrong with falling in love and enjoying your time while still not committing to anything.

Dontknow12 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:45:27

OK so I'm not completely insane. I have no intention of saying anything to him about it anytime soon. Far too scared of rejection if I'm honest.

Mummydummy Tue 06-Sep-16 21:26:36

The only person who knows how you feel is you. Of course you can feel like your in love or falling in love, sometimes its an incredibly powerful thing. It just doesn't come along very often.

But at 6 weeks you don't entirely know someone so you should protect yourself a little as you go on the journey to find out more about each other.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now