Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is it a date or is it not a date?

(8 Posts)
buzzpopprince Sat 06-Aug-16 23:55:56

A friend of a friend who I have met previously, may be three times over three years, (and always as a group) got in touch via FB, "hey not seen you for a while, I've missed your face, can we hangs soon"... That was actual phrase used and I still don't know what that means.

'Hangs' turns out to be dinner, just him and I...and because we don't know each other that well, feels like a date...also I do like him. At the end of the eve, we have friendly kiss and a hug and he grabs my hips and gives me a kiss on lips (no snog though) and we agree to meet again soon.

We meet again, for dinner. Again feels like a date, getting ready to know each other more. At the end, he links arms, and kiss and hug...No snog. But a lets do this again really soon conversation...

I have asked mutual friend to discreetly inquire, annoyingly, she is denying me this info.

I am acting like a teenager, and worse, I cannot even think of asking him. He has lots of female friends you see, so I would feel foolish if I were seeing too much into it.

Opinions please, aside from telling me that I need to grow up wink

amypie86 Sun 07-Aug-16 01:32:50

You don't kiss friends on the lips. It's definitely a date and it sounds like he likes you. grin

buzzpopprince Sun 07-Aug-16 10:00:52

Eeeek! It's so sad that I don't know what's happening when a man is actually nice confused

buzzpopprince Sun 07-Aug-16 10:01:35

I only kiss my gay male friends on the lips thinking about it...

PotatoBread Sun 07-Aug-16 10:58:50

Are you sure he is straight?

TuppencePenny Sun 07-Aug-16 11:00:56

Sounds like a date to me, definitely! Your mutual friend is being annoying withholding information about it.

LobsterQuadrille Sun 07-Aug-16 11:05:07

Definitely sounds like a date. And sounds as if the liking is mutual but he's taking it slowly. The mutual friend .... could have divided loyalties? He could have said to her "I really like buzz but please don't tell her as I want to do it my way" ..? The only way forward is to hold onto him a bit longer the next time you have this goodbye kiss, and see if he's responsive.

buzzpopprince Sun 07-Aug-16 21:27:20

Thank you for replies, v reassuring!
Yes, definitely straight Potato, I know he had gf that he split with before Christmas.
I am seeing said friend this week so perhaps she might say something then.
I thought he might be taking it slow, he also knows I've been through quite a rough time recently, so it could be that, or that he is just being friendly....

Annoyingly he sent a message this morning, how nice I thought and replied, for him to tell me it was mistakenly sent to me and meant for a group message he was on.
Oh. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now