Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Lack of empathy/understanding from spouse

(1 Post)
dalmatinka85 Sat 06-Aug-16 14:59:53

Hi there. New to this site. I feel like I need to vent to people who will not be able to tell my hubby off, as in good friends, older sister, etc. Lol. Well, my dad had a massive stroke about 4 weeks ago and he is currently in coma, with only the bare minimum of improvements, if you can call them that. My hubby and I had a trip planned to Europe with our little one, but we ended up cancelling. Originally, I wanted to postpone the trip but the more I visit my dad and see how frail he's become, the less comfortable I am in going at all. My hubby is very clearly annoyed by the fact that I decided I don't want to go at all. He is giving me the silent treatment and I am absolutely disgusted by his behaviour. Yes, he was there through it all but not once has he really cracked a tear or done his very best to comfort me. I also suffer from anxiety /claustrophobia and I avoid elevators, need to take pills to go on a plane, etc. I HATE feeling this way, but instead of being understanding to my issues he gets annoyed by me and thinks it's silly that I feel that way. According to him, you're not mentally tough. He grew up in a household where his family never shared their feelings and his father is a complete alpha male who was a part time father to him. My hubby also had cancer as a teen and it was his mom who was there for him through it all, not his father. I have no idea if his capacity for empathy became stunted due to his relationship, or lacktherof, with his father. Anyways, I am so incredibly hurt by all of this and really devastated. I genuinely feel that if he continues this type of behaviour or doesn't genuinely apologize to me for being such an ass, I will want a divorce. I will not tolerate total disregard for my feelings. Anyways, just had to vent. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now