Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Age gap!

(8 Posts)
Jollsjolly Mon 01-Aug-16 10:32:58

Hello!
Need some advice, I have recently met a guy at work who I got on very well with, things have progressed and we have been hanging out together a fair amount.
I have a 2 year old boy, whom he knows about and I am only meeting up with him when I don't have my son. But of course we work together so I see him at least twice a week.
The only problem being he is only 19 and I am 24. I feel awful! And we are keeping it a secret at work. Is it too much of an age difference? I feel like if people knew I'd be judged very harshly! He's mature for his age and we get on really well but I'm concerned I am too old for him!
Any advice!?!
Gracie

Chasingsquirrels Mon 01-Aug-16 10:35:49

It's only 5 years, you are both adults. I don't see a problem at all.

ChanelNo314 Mon 01-Aug-16 10:36:02

I wouldn't judge you because 24 is very young too but just be aware that it could make it harder to accept your lack of freedom. Compared to his.

TheNaze73 Mon 01-Aug-16 10:36:55

In a nutshell OP, sod them!! You are doing nothing wrong. If your gut instinct is good then go with it.

Proudmummytodc2 Mon 01-Aug-16 10:42:49

OP sod everyone think about yourself and what makes you happy it's your life to live there is 10 years between me and my partner the age difference made no difference to be honest and 9 years on we are getting married and have 2 kids together.

Elenio Mon 01-Aug-16 10:43:24

I'm 10 years older than my dp! He is 23 and I am 33. It took a lot of consideration from my side (it doesn't bother him at all) but it's been fine. We have been together a year and have moved in together.

Age does not define a person.

Carry on enjoying it and try not to worry what anyone else thinks.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 01-Aug-16 12:18:24

I am 9 years older than my husband and we have been together fo 13 years. It has never been a problem.

Don't worry what others think, if it's meant to be it will all work out fine and 5 years wont seem such a big gap when you are both older.

adora1 Mon 01-Aug-16 17:03:46

My ex when I met lied and told me he was 24 when in fact he was 19, I was 25 at the time, it's nothing OP, go for it, we were together 13 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now