Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Is it possible to get the feeling back?

(35 Posts)
IndieTara Sun 31-Jul-16 17:02:05

Pretty new to this so hopefully I wont make any MN etiquette mistakes.
DP and I have been together 2.5 years and engaged for the last 8 mths. He really loves me and my DD and would do anything for us.
I am currently feeling very shallow and guilty that the fact he is lovely doesnt seem to be enough.
I am squeamish about certain things and unfortunately some of the things he does really gross me out. Its something we have spoken about more than once in the past but nothing really changes. We are currently abroad on our first holiday together at a relatives house ( with them ) and things have been difficult because of his personal habits. I can feel any desire I had for him draining away, but arent I just supposed to accept who he is?

StealthPolarBear Sun 31-Jul-16 17:10:16

No. You're not. You've been together no time at all and you actively dislike him
why on earth do you think you need to stay with him

IndieTara Sun 31-Jul-16 17:17:12

Stealth I suppose I'm asking should I be more tolerant as he is lovely in many other ways.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 31-Jul-16 17:24:42

No, you are not supposed to blithely accept who he is. If you did those things you do not further allude to would he be so forgiving or tolerant?.

If you have talked about things and nothing really changes then he does not want to properly listen to what you are saying. It shows an overall lack of respect towards you.

Do not stay with him out of some warped sense of obligation, if its not right then its not right.

Is he your DDs father?. Would you want her as an adult to be with someone like you describe?

What do you get out of this relationship now?

IndieTara Sun 31-Jul-16 17:52:15

Attila he is very accepting of me however I dont do the things he does! He is not her father, her father is my ex DH and gives me a lot of crap, i just want a peaceful life.
What do i get from the relationship? DP tries to be very supportive as he has been in similar circumstances in the past

LewisAndClark Sun 31-Jul-16 17:56:19

What kind of things does he do?

IndieTara Sun 31-Jul-16 18:19:51

He gets adult acne which I have no problem with but picks his face and flicks bits onto my sofa and carpet, he also has very dry skin on his feet which he also picks and leaves a trail of skin when barefoot. Ive had to insist on separate beds as his snoring his so awful and he scratches incessantly in bed. His teeth are horrible, he cleans them but they are black at the roots and last week i found out he has false teeth too. Unfortunately i am most squeamish about bad teeth and am having great difficulty getting past it. I have been telling myself to calm down for the past few months but its getting no easier.

Girlsthatdance Sun 31-Jul-16 18:23:02

That is pretty gross op and I couldn't see past that for anyone. It doesn't sound as if you even like him. He might be a decent enough guy but he's not doing it for you is he? Even if he stopped picking his spots I don't think you really would want to be with him.

Fishcake72 Sun 31-Jul-16 18:26:19

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeew. No matter how 'nice' he is, he sounds minging poor bloke. Some things are just deal breakers.

ChaChaChaCh4nges Sun 31-Jul-16 18:26:40

Yuck. That's utterly disgusting. No wonder you don't fancy him anymore. Did you ever? Has he got worse recently?

AnyFucker Sun 31-Jul-16 18:33:16

Yuck. I couldn't see this creature as a sexual partner and I am not surprised that you can't either.

IndieTara Sun 31-Jul-16 18:38:42

We had great chemistry until prob 3-4 mths ago . I'm not sure if the 'honeymoon period ' just wore off so I see things differently now or if he just got more comfortable and lapsed a bit. Maybe a bit of both?
Either way I'm stuck on holiday not feeling i can say anything until we get home but of course he knows somethings not right.

bomfunk Sun 31-Jul-16 18:51:02

After 2.5 years you should still be in the phase of forgiving any bad habit! It's tail end of honeymoon. From your op, you don't sound convinced - listen to your gut instinct. If he's not right for you, end it. It'll be hard at first, but you will adjust flowers

bomfunk Sun 31-Jul-16 18:52:56

Think, if you're grossed out now - how will you feel in 5 or 10 years time?!

IndieTara Sun 31-Jul-16 21:32:21

Thanks all i think you are right.

Believeitornot Sun 31-Jul-16 21:34:20

That's all fucking disgusting sorry.

JennyHolzersGhost Sun 31-Jul-16 22:12:22

It's ok to go off someone, OP smile

johnben56 Sun 31-Jul-16 23:47:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sun 31-Jul-16 23:57:51

Light and Solutions, gosh.

You could try that OP.

Or ... you could just run, very, very fast.

Shall we take a vote?

IndieTara Mon 01-Aug-16 08:35:38

Lol no vote required Bewitched

Girlsthatdance Mon 01-Aug-16 08:37:38

Is he not aware of how repulsive his behaviour is? Where is his respect? No one is going to put up with that.

adora1 Mon 01-Aug-16 14:28:18

Jesus, who would put up with that, that is vile.

IndieTara Mon 01-Aug-16 20:11:04

Well we have consciously uncoupled

JTK90 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:11:30

I'm in the same position. It's like I've just woken up and suddenly I'm not attracted to my OH anymore. This has never happened to me before and it's worrying!

AnyFucker Mon 01-Aug-16 21:16:34

Good move, Tara

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now