Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To think this is rude?

(78 Posts)
MamaSaysItsAHardKnockLife Tue 26-Jul-16 17:48:29

Asked out on a date and trying to arrange when, we both have kids and it's a mission. We met on OD but are old friends from school, it's all been a bit stop-start but technically this would be our first official date. He was (I thought) genuinely interested?!

I suggested Monday just gone this weekend; he misunderstood and thought I was talking about the week ahead, which he can't do as his weekend with the dc.

No problem said I - let's do Monday as in tomorrow (this was on Sunday afternoon); I do know it's short notice though so of course no problem if not.

His reply, "Tomorrow's Monday?"

This is rude isn't it!! I have just left it. Bloody men.

pegomassive1 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:52:42

I don't think that's rude actually! There have been many a thread on "this day" "that day" "next day" etc and it does divide opinion...
When he said "tomorrow's Monday" did you reply and say yes? It does look to me like he was trying to confirm?

ChunkyMonkey4321 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:55:04

I have no idea why you think that's rude

FuzzyOwl Tue 26-Jul-16 17:56:21

How is that rude?

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Tue 26-Jul-16 17:56:45

Not rude, he just wanted to be sure

DrMorbius Tue 26-Jul-16 17:57:18

I think he has dodged a bullet.

MamaSaysItsAHardKnockLife Tue 26-Jul-16 17:58:26

He asked me whether tomorrow was Monday, couldn't he just look at a calendar?!

blueskyinmarch Tue 26-Jul-16 17:59:05

So he was checking that you wanted to meet tomorrow Monday as in the next day rather than next Monday and you think he was rude? He was just clarifying the date.

MamaSaysItsAHardKnockLife Tue 26-Jul-16 17:59:11

I don't think I'm a bullet confused

ChunkyMonkey4321 Tue 26-Jul-16 17:59:33

Or maybe he meant 'how fast has the weekend gone'

coolaschmoola Tue 26-Jul-16 17:59:43

You are making an issue where there is none.

MamaSaysItsAHardKnockLife Tue 26-Jul-16 17:59:45

No he wasn't clarifying, I already said.

someonescj Tue 26-Jul-16 18:00:01

Or maybe he asked as in the Monday which is occurring tomorrow? Don't see how that's rude at all.

FuzzyOwl Tue 26-Jul-16 18:01:35

I can see why your potential dating has been stop start!

PonchosLament Tue 26-Jul-16 18:04:00

I'd have assumed he was just double checking.

MistressChalk Tue 26-Jul-16 18:04:23

He clearly meant 'the Monday that will be tomorrow?' so I don't see how that's rude at all. It's easy to mistake things over text though.

PonchosLament Tue 26-Jul-16 18:07:07

I think the apostrophe denoted possession.

You think it denoted a contraction.

As in, I think it was a clarification of the Monday that is tomorrow and you have read it as a sarcastic "tomorrow is Monday".

I think I am right because your interpretation is a statement and not a question and would not, therefore, necessitate a question mark.

HappyJanuary Tue 26-Jul-16 18:07:07

I don't think he was asking you if tomorrow is Monday.

He was saying 'you do mean the Monday that is happening tomorrow'. Understandable given the circumstances and previous confusion.

You're too touchy. Fancy being annoyed enough to give up a potential date and post angrily about it. Texting sometimes throws up such misunderstandings imo.

PonchosLament Tue 26-Jul-16 18:08:48

I, too, think he has dodged a bullet and avoided someone who takes offence over absolutely nothing.

honeybunny14 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:10:10

Seriously? hmm

PigletWasPoohsFriend Tue 26-Jul-16 18:10:27

I can't see how that is rude at all.

You not replying is rude.

Cabrinha Tue 26-Jul-16 18:11:40

I don't think he was actually asking you if tomorrow was Monday, in lieu of looking on a calendar.confused
He's just checking because there'd already been some Monday confusion.

If that were me, a link to The Cure lyrics would have been thrown in by now! Or some silly chat about also doing the Monday before the Monday after the Monday we didn't meet.

You say it's been stop start already - is it genuine, or is this you reacting to previous uselessness from him? Because it's really not rude, just on what you've said.

Hellothereitsme Tue 26-Jul-16 18:12:48

Poor fella! He uses the correct grammar and gets dumped!! He was asking you if you meant Monday tomorrow or the next Monday! He wasn't being sarcastic or trying to be funny. The apostrophe is the clue.

Cabrinha Tue 26-Jul-16 18:13:02

And as today is Tuesday, does that mean you've just blanked him over that?! Bloody hell confused

RaggyDoll24 Tue 26-Jul-16 18:13:15

Really?! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now