Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Do you always go with your gut?

(17 Posts)
FunnyTummy Tue 19-Jul-16 10:25:47

I've name changed for this, as I have posted quite a bit recently on other threads, and don't want to out myself.

I have stayed in a relationship which has been very up and down. Things have been much better recently, but I just have this really uneasy feeling in my gut that it isn't forever, and that I can't completely trust what he is up to.

I don't have much concrete evidence, apart from when things were very bad this time last year (doing drugs behind my back etc)

Is this my problem? Do I just need to work on my trust issues? He is very open with his phone etc, and does a lot for me. We do get on well.

I guess what I'm asking is the subject question - Do you always go with your gut?

TheNaze73 Tue 19-Jul-16 13:27:50

I don't but, wish I did as its nearly always right.

horrayforharoldlloyd Tue 19-Jul-16 14:38:49

I always do now.....

queenoftheknight Tue 19-Jul-16 14:54:29

Yes.

I learned the hard way though!

candybar007 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:08:20

Always and it is normally right.

ImperialBlether Tue 19-Jul-16 15:11:59

I think if you ignore your instincts you're crazy, particularly given your relationship's history.

FunnyTummy Tue 19-Jul-16 15:12:26

Can you break up with someone on a gut feeling though?

Obviously I know you can break up with anyone, at any time, but I don't know if I will look back and wonder what the hell I was thinking!

JamesTiberiusKirk Tue 19-Jul-16 15:42:40

Agree with TheNaze73 - I wish I had paid more attention to instinct.

OP I guess the question is whether you feel you can have complete trust and faith in him, bearing in mind what has happened in the past. I wouldn't feel bad about being uneasy, given what went on previously. All I would suggest is that you keep your eyes open.

Resilience16 Tue 19-Jul-16 18:37:35

I'd say go with your gut every time.
I would also say if you have broken up and got back together in the past, then what steps have you both taken since to fix things and make them better?
If nothing concrete then this cycle will just repeat and repeat. You split for a reason. If you don't actively fix that reason it will sure as dammit raise its ugly head again and again.

coco1810 Tue 19-Jul-16 19:08:13

Yup, every time in all aspects of life. Hardly ever wrong.

NickiFury Tue 19-Jul-16 19:14:03

Yes and I have never been wrong when it's about people close to me. My Mum was a very scary, unpredictable, controlling person and this combined with an army brat lifestyle changing schools every couple of years developed great getting the measure of people skills. I learned to pick up the non verbal signs and communications from people at an early age and I find it's invaluable as an adult. No one gets one over on me.

MsStricty Tue 19-Jul-16 21:05:58

My gut/intuition is never off-course, though sometimes I'll misinterpret or ignore it. I think learning to trust and use it is one of the most valuable resources we have.

FunnyTummy Wed 20-Jul-16 08:53:02

Thanks for the comments.

Resilience - I think that's a very good point. the cycle is repeating, and it's just as much my fault as it is his. people IRL and people on here told me that he would never change, and he wont.

I read an email that I sent to a friend exactly a year ago, saying that my gut feeling was very strong that this wouldn't work. why on earth have I then gone through another year of making my feelings stronger and making more memories.

so annoyed with myself.

Thanks again everyone

JanetWeb2812 Wed 20-Jul-16 10:07:45

Gut instinct???

In different circumstances you could be prosecuted for going on gut instinct.

FunnyTummy Wed 20-Jul-16 14:28:27

Not really sure what that means!!

PaulDacreCuntyMcCuntFace Wed 20-Jul-16 18:31:56

In relationships - yes. If I get that awful churning feeling that something's wrong then I always listen to it because I've always been proved right.

FunnyTummy Thu 21-Jul-16 08:52:15

Thanks Paul . . .leaving a whole relationship on a gut feeling is brave xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now