Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

ex-partner joint mortgage

(6 Posts)
mins1 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:20:47

Myself and ex partner bought house 2004, he had not been living at property for about 4 years in total over various times, then in 2015 he finally left for good. The property is part rent part buy only owning 30%. He now only pays £200.00 a month for our child. Will I have to sell when the child is of age?? What rights do I have?? Should I get anything agreed now?? Mortgage should be paid up maybe a year after the child finishes education by that time I will have paid for over half of it on my own.

Afterthestorm Tue 12-Jul-16 13:29:28

Can you not save up/work more to be able to afford the extra £200 a month between when the maintenance stops and the mortgage finishes?

maz210 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:32:45

Will you be in a position to buy him out once your children are adults? Dividing assets is always going to be difficult when it's a family home.

maz210 Tue 12-Jul-16 13:34:07

Also is he paying half the mortgage now? I think you would be best off seeing a divorce lawyer as soon as possible.

SandyY2K Tue 12-Jul-16 16:34:18

It's best to get proper legal advice for your specific situation.

Montane50 Wed 13-Jul-16 01:10:21

I work for a mortgage company *each company has its own criteria.
We would remortgage the property into your sole name (but it would need to be affordable in your own right. Any agreement with the buying out his share would be a personal agreement and non of our concern, however he would need to agree and sign to come off the deeds.
There are 2 possible failures to this -1) he may refuse to sign. Or 2) you may not be able to afford to take on the mortgage in your sole name.
Either way? He would remain on the mortgage. Its always worth trying to not fall out in the initial stages ☺

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now