Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

When do you know it's over with your DH?

(2 Posts)
hollingbury Tue 05-Jul-16 11:17:32

I love my husband. But he does irritate the hell out of me. We lock horns a lot - we've always been quite fiery, pretty confrontational. And defensive. We both defend our corners a lot, which, as I know is not great for relationship success.

We have some great times, but we have sour phases - we're in one now. It feels like we're stuck in a loop. And it's getting tiring. I get scared of thinking of life without him, but I know we also have to sort it out to carry on.

We've had counselling before - he doesn't think it really helped.

We're great when we're with friends! Why is that? Because we show each more respect in front of other people?

We've one son. He would be devastated if we broke up. We're a close unit.

Any suggestions? I feel really emotional about it all today.

pippistrelle Wed 06-Jul-16 10:32:24

We're great when we're with friends! Why is that? Because we show each more respect in front of other people?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. It sounds like you both need to learn to carry that respect over to when you're just at home. Do you manage it in front of your son?

Do you argue about big things, or are they ultimately inconsequential?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now