Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Tips for when you have to work closely with someone you don't get on with

(2 Posts)
AmiesArmy Fri 24-Jun-16 18:39:34

I have a colleague who I don't dislike but there's just something about him that irritates me. I think it's because we have very different personalities: i'm an introvert, calm and quiet and he's very extroverted, loud and likes to be the centre of attention.

Normally this is not a problem and I don't think anyone is aware that he's just not my cup of tea. However, starting from Monday we have been paired on a work project which means we will have to spend a lot of time together. I know i should be going into this with an open mind and hoping that our contrasting traits complement each other, which is probably why we have been put together, but I think his 'need' for attention and my 'need' to sit quietly in a corner are not going to work well. Any tips for how to be polite and friendly (and not two-faced) with someone you wouldn't normally choose to spend time with.

something2say Fri 24-Jun-16 18:47:15

I think, be your true self and be quite if that's who you are. And then, let him be him and talk and be loud. In time he will get the message not to be like this towards you because you don't give him what he needs. Also, see if you can take anything positive from him. I work with a talkative colleague and it irritates me, but she is likeable as the same time so I just manage her by allowing her to talk while I'm doing things like eat lunch or pack my bags up. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now