Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Mum cliques and excluding the children

(20 Posts)
Mummy9876 Thu 16-Jun-16 11:44:24

Hi,

I have joined here as I need a bit of support and advice.
My oldest daughter has been subjected to exclusion for years due to a clique of mums who I used to be friends with. The kids all went to nursery together and when they started primary my dd ended up in a different class. It was like a switch flicked and she began to get excluded. I once commented to one of the mums that we hadn't seen them for a while and it would be good to catch up. After a pause I was told, well you know, the kids have moved on and made new friends - that's life! My dd ended up back in the same class 4 years later, she began to play with the kids again but the parents still exclude her from everything - parties etc.

Recently my younger dd has had the same treatment from 2 mums who live on our street - the kids all play together and are best friends. However the mums have made firm friends and so leave my dd out of play dates, trips away etc. I spoke to them about it and the 'queen bee' as it were really took offence and basically told me they could do what they wanted. The other acts like a bystander and goes along with her.

I'm at my wits end. I like where I live and I know one of them is moving this year which might help things a bit but unfortunately the one whose moving is the nicer one.

How do I positively make sure my daughters are not adversely affected by this? I know it will help them with resilience - but how do you cope when it's the adults doing the social exclusion? My older daughter copes quite well as she has a large network of friends which I have encouraged, my younger finds it harder to make friends and ends up in tears thinking her friends don't like her. It's heartbreaking.

Thanks xx

bluecashmere Thu 16-Jun-16 20:34:18

I don't mean to sound harsh but you can't decide who is going to be friends with your daughters or force people to be your friend. Although it's 'heartbreaking' for you, don't show them this. There are other potential friends out there for them and I think trying to arrange friendships has and will continue to backfire. Confrontation is not really the way to go about it. Is this only about your daughters' friendships or are you feeling the rejection yourself? Can you just invite another mother round for coffee and take it from there?

MooPointCowsOpinion Thu 16-Jun-16 20:37:21

You can't pick grown adults friends for them, if the mums are friends and leave you and your children out because of that, then make different friends yourself.

Explain to dd that the kids aren't leaving her out, and slowly steer her towards other kids.

My kids have friends that they met through my friendships, and friends that are purely their own. I don't get involved and to be honest, the less party invitations the better, especially fucking frozen parties.

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:14:20

Blue cashmere - I don't for one minute decide who my daughter can and can't be friends with. That is entirely her choice. I also don't arrange friendships. These people are my neighbours and my child plays with them on a regular basis.

Neither am I interested in 'forcing' someone to be my friend. I have enough friends of my own and am not interested in that. No I am not feeling rejected - All I'm interested in is helping my child get through a difficult situation.

Moo point - she has other friends at school but unfortunately these people literally live on our doorstep so we can't avoid them, which would be my choice if I could.

MsGus Sat 25-Jun-16 14:27:28

Moopoint is on point. So the only thing I would add here is that; even if they are on your doorstep it does not mean you need to be friendly with them or that your daughters should be.

They have shown you clearly they are not interested. You should move on. You and your daughters do not need their friendship. No need for your daughter to feel rejected. There must be lots of other kids to form friendships with, in and our of the school, on your doorstep or far away, etc.

Ignore these women. Although they sound unpleasant, it is their choice.

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:34:10

MsGus you are so right - I do try to ignore them as much as possible, unfortunately it's easier said than done xx

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:41:37

Thanks ladies, totally appreciate the feedback, even the harsh stuff lol

I foolishly expect everyone to be the same as me, as I would never think of leaving anyone's kids out but I understand that they're not. That's life I guess. And on the positive side, its teaching my children the type of people NOT to be.

MiaowTheCat Sat 25-Jun-16 14:54:17

It hurts like hell when it's your child being left out (it's all of our real vulnerable spot after all) - but realistically all you can do is to try to foster alternative friendships and keep them happy and resilient.

My eldest's getting this at the moment and it's horrid - grown women being cruel to kids is really low.

Minime85 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:56:56

Wish there was an answer but there isn't really. It happens everywhere. I hate it. I've never been one for being good at the mum at the school gate thing and now I work full time in not even though so my dcs get excluded for those reasons. Says more about them than you. I just tell mine better off without them as they are as if only friends because I don't fit in with their idea then not real friends are they.

bloodyteenagers Sat 25-Jun-16 15:00:09

You really need to move on. Just because they are neighbours is meaningless. My children have played with the local kids both here and at their houses. Some of the parents are friends, but not with everyone. It's life. Trips get arranged, some kids are invited others aren't. Again its life.

When I organise day trips out, which I do a few times a year I look at where we are going, do I need to also invite the parent/much older sibling etc. Would it mean that as well as the invited child and parent other siblings would also need to come. If parents required, shoot me now, but yes this is also a consideration. I don't get on with everyone, I find some of my children friends parents draining and hardwork to make conversation. Like "Any plans for the summer?"
"Yes." (reply)
"Staying or going abroad?" (Me)
"Bit of both?"
"Anywhere in particular?"
"Just here and there."
This was the only other adult there. So no next trip will not include this person and their child unless I can rope in other adults. It made for a very, very long day.
Same with the parent who shouts over me every single time. These two parents insist on attending all trips out. I cannot just take their child. Thankfully, this doesn't apply when the child comes to play, because if it did, I would send them off to the park.

It also works in the other direction as well. There are some of my friends children, that my own children don't like. It's life. I tell mine that they don't have to like everyone. But what counts is how you treat them. Just because you don't like them, don't be mean. Also some of my friends children don't like mine. We are adult enough to understand and accept this, and we try and avoid any forced interaction where there is no buffer.

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:12:31

Haha bloody teenagers that made me laugh. No I am never mean, it's not in my nature, I no longer acknowledge any of it, which is the best way to go I think.

I still help if needed, and I still always include their kids. I couldn't be any other way.

Minime85 - yeah I thought the school mentality finished once you were finished school. How wrong was I?

ParadiseCity Sat 25-Jun-16 15:16:43

DD is going through something like this. I really feel for you OP. I make a point of chatting things through each night and talking about ways of handling being left out - it is heartbreaking I know xxx

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:23:40

Yeah ParadiseCity I do this too. I also try and keep her busy when I know they're doing stuff, take her to the park or for ice cream or play a game etc. Thanks.
X

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:30:09

Miaow the cat - totally agree thanks xx

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:31:27

Miaow the cat - hope this resolves for your eldest - sending hugs xx

DigestiveBiscuit Sat 25-Jun-16 15:33:14

Is she at secondary yet? If not, the children from one primary get mixed in with all the others, and Dd could well form friendships with girls from all over the district; not just your locality.

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:39:11

DigestiveBiscuit - no not yet. That's what I'm hoping. But a while to go before we get there xx

notagiraffe Sat 25-Jun-16 15:45:25

It's miserable at the time, but it's amazing how quickly that stuff stops mattering as soon as they make solid friendships elsewhere. Both my DC had problems with parents like this at primary. They now have really great friends at their new school. No one else from primary moved up to that school and it was the best thing that could have happened. The new friends are all you'd want them to be - kind, supportive, funny and totally accepting of any differences they have (in clothes, music, politics - the lot). Hope this happens to your DD. And oh the bliss when they are old enough to go off on their own and you get to hang out exclusively with people you actually get on with!

Kittyinthewood Sat 25-Jun-16 15:47:41

Not sure what to write to help. Am inclined to say that they sound unpleasant and you sound very sweet! I think I would rather have you as a Mummy mate! Your girls sound like troopers! Well done this far! Big hugs. Sorry to hear that this is so common. I have a 4 year old - starting next Sept. I dread this type of stuff. Makes interesting reading. XXX

Mummy9876 Sat 25-Jun-16 17:28:13

Good to hear not a giraffe. Thanks.

Aw thanks kittyinthewood, I know it's horrible how some mums treat other mums and their kids. Hope you don't have to experience it xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now