Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Money and house issues on breaking up

(7 Posts)
moneymoneymoneyohdear Wed 15-Jun-16 12:32:07

DP and I are incredibly likely to break up, as sad as that is.
We own a house together but have no DC's
I can afford to buy DP out of the house luckily

Can anyone tell me whether I will have to pay stamp duty on paying his share of the property?

Also our house has not increased in value compared to the money gone in. If anything its reduced in value. Would I be unreasonable to give him the money he has put in but nothing more?

We've owned together under a year if that makes any difference.

Joysmum Wed 15-Jun-16 12:44:55

As you aren't married then stamp duty is payable.

fuckyoudoorhandles Wed 15-Jun-16 12:56:11

I think it depends on the amount you will pay to buy him out, if it's below the stamp duty threshold then you won't pay it.
Have a look here on the gov.uk website, sorry can't link!

moneymoneymoneyohdear Wed 15-Jun-16 14:32:08

Ah that's great, thanks. I think it will be below the threshold, phew smile

hellsbellsmelons Wed 15-Jun-16 15:09:52

He may also need to consider that he may have to pay capital gains tax if he doesn't put it into another property for himself.

Joysmum Wed 15-Jun-16 19:16:21

There won't be capital gains tax if he's lived there during the time the gains were made (very simplified but the exemption I think will be most applicable).

moneymoneymoneyohdear Wed 15-Jun-16 22:33:45

He's only paid into the mortgage so it's a very small amount of money to pay him what he's paid in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now