Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Leaving the table during a meal

(30 Posts)
WTAFF Mon 13-Jun-16 22:18:12

I went out for some food with a friend this evening and between courses he got up from the table and told me that he was going to try one of the sofas in the lounge area.

He then left me alone at the table and sat on his own on the sofas for about five minutes before returning like this was completely normal.

I was a bitconfused but I wondered whether this was normal or whether people agree it was slightly odd/rude behaviour.

HeddaGarbled Mon 13-Jun-16 22:32:38

Definitely odd.

janethegirl2 Mon 13-Jun-16 22:36:18

He's a fuckwit.

WholeAgain Mon 13-Jun-16 22:38:50

Maybe he needed to fart...

yougetme Mon 13-Jun-16 22:38:56

Never heard the like. What a twat.

TheNaze73 Mon 13-Jun-16 22:42:39

What's your relationship? What type of friends are you? As wholeagain said, he may have needed to float an air biscuit?
Was the conversation good or were you both bored?

LineyReborn Mon 13-Jun-16 22:48:06

Did you watch him just actually sit there?

Nannawifeofbaldr Mon 13-Jun-16 22:50:14

Please, please tell me this was really just a friend and not a date.

That's really quite odd behaviour.

Mycraneisfixed Mon 13-Jun-16 22:56:06

Weird.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 13-Jun-16 22:58:12

He definitely needed to do a smelly fart.

JaffaDodger Mon 13-Jun-16 23:14:11

DH and I both agree that he definitely went to fart

LineyReborn Mon 13-Jun-16 23:15:27

Why wouldn't he just pop to the loo, in that case?

springydaffs Mon 13-Jun-16 23:51:12

Nah it's not weird at all - as long as you weren't eating.

what's 5 minutes between friends?

GloriousGoosebumps Tue 14-Jun-16 07:07:31

I'm with the others; he either needed to fart or do a smelly burp!! You could say it was considerate of him.

WTAFF Tue 14-Jun-16 07:08:58

Thanks for your opinions. We definitely are just friends. However I know he didn't need to fart because he is quite free with his flatulence and indeed (disgustingly) blatantly lifted his cheek to let one out during the main course.

The conversation was ok - we weren't just sitting in silence.

I did just sit there watching him sitting on the sofa. I felt so awkward- especially when the poor young lad working in the restaurant came running over to see if everything was OK!

Reading this back, it sounds completely unbelievable and if I was reading this I'd be thinking 'that didn't happen'. Unfortunately I'm not a troll and it did happen! confusedgrin

ffon Tue 14-Jun-16 07:23:24

Maybe he thought you'd go too, got there, realised you weren't coming, felt uncomfortable and then returned.

DeathStare Tue 14-Jun-16 07:24:19

Was he drunk?

AnnaMarlowe Tue 14-Jun-16 07:25:04

Sounds like a delightful dinner date all round.

WTAFF Tue 14-Jun-16 07:28:43

No he wasn't drunk. He said that he had mentioned going and trying the sofas out (as he is thinking of buying one in the same style) and I had said no. So he thought he would pop over in between courses and give it a try without bothering me. I don't recall him mentioning it. In fact I know he definitely didn't.

Im not greatly upset but I just found it very weird!

DeathStare Tue 14-Jun-16 07:29:56

Oh. Well with that new info I don't think it's that weird at all to be honest.

WTAFF Tue 14-Jun-16 07:31:32

Oh no - did I drip feed? I'm really sorry! smile

AnnaMarlowe Tue 14-Jun-16 07:32:09

You see I think that makes it more weird. He invented and conversation between the two of you to explain his odd behaviour. hmm

firesidechat Tue 14-Jun-16 08:06:23

That excuse is nearly as daft as the behaviour. Not all sofas in the same style are the same to sit on. It's very weird, but he's your friend and I'm assuming you know him well enough to be aware if this is something he would do or not.

Notonthelawn Tue 14-Jun-16 08:08:42

Oh maybe he wanted you to join him!

Kr1stina Tue 14-Jun-16 08:28:07

Was he using his phone while sitting on the sofa ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now