Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DP didn't tell me he'd book a holiday. Am I over reacting?

(39 Posts)
Bamboo13 Thu 09-Jun-16 19:39:08

DP and I have been together 18 months. We live separately with our own dc. Last year we went on holiday separately and decided we would do the same this year with our own dc (and maybe somewhere else together). We've both had quite a lot on so it was only yesterday that I mentioned something that I going to book for ds and I. I then asked what he was going to do and he said he'd already booked a week away early August. I'm fine with him going away as that's what is expected but I realised he had booked it 2 months ago and he had said nothing. He doesn't think there is anything wrong with not telling me. I'm just upset that for something quite significant he said nothing. What do you think?

louisejxxx Thu 09-Jun-16 19:41:09

Yabu if he forgot to mention it, yanbu if he was trying to hide it for some reason.

Bamboo13 Thu 09-Jun-16 19:45:53

It's just strange as I actually remember me mentioning a few weeks ago about me booking a holiday and he said nothing. It was only when I asked him what he was doing that he said. Actually, I've just not got a good feeling about this. Something tells me it's not right. I usually a fairly reasonable, understanding and placid person but actually I feel fairly disappointed at the moment.

TheNIghtManagersWife Thu 09-Jun-16 19:50:45

Hmm. It's not an outright lie but more like a lie by omission. My ExH used to do this all of the time, and whilst I don't want to project my own issues onto yours, it was something I found very unsettling and always had me on edge wondering what else he cba to mention. It's not good.

Pinkheart5915 Thu 09-Jun-16 19:51:43

Yabu and over reacting

IthinkIamsinking Thu 09-Jun-16 20:09:15

YABU and a bit silly about it all.
I am struggling to see the problem here.

DeathStare Thu 09-Jun-16 20:23:26

You are completely over-reacting. It's not like he hid it. And you'd both already agreed that this is what would happen. He just didn't think to mention that he'd actually booked it

NerrSnerr Thu 09-Jun-16 20:24:14

It's what you agreed and he did it. I don't sea what the problem is?

jillyarmeen16 Thu 09-Jun-16 20:27:08

I don't think you're over reacting at all. It's a lie by omission and for what reason?
I booked a holiday last week, I couldn't wait to tell my family and friends about it, seems strange that he wouldn't mention it to the most important person in his life

CassandraAusten Thu 09-Jun-16 20:29:29

This is a tricky one. It does seem weird, but he hasn't done anything wrong exactly. Maybe he just genuinely didn't think to mention it?

SirChenjin Thu 09-Jun-16 20:32:56

I don't think you are over-reacting at all. You'very been together for a reasonable amount of time - it's an odd thing to keep quiet about. Presumably you tell each other about the other major things that are going on in your lives?

tigermoll Fri 10-Jun-16 08:27:11

If it really is just this one incident that's making you unsettled, then I think YABU. You both previously discussed holidays, agreed to go separately, and as a result, he went ahead and booked his holiday without requiring any further input/permission from you. He didn't feel the need to bring it up again, until you asked a direct question, at which point he told you the truth. What's the problem?

Is there more to it than you're saying, OP? Cos it might be the case that you've been feeling uneasy for a while, and this is the first concrete thing you can hang that on. If so, maybe you should tell us a few of the "silly" things that have been bothering you, but seem too petty to bring up?

TheNaze73 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:28:51

YABU. Sounds like an overreaction

GarlicSteak Fri 10-Jun-16 08:37:00

I remember mentioning a few weeks ago about me booking a holiday and he said nothing.

This is what makes it odd. He'd already booked his by then so, at the point where you mentioned it, he made a choice not to tell you.

Yes, it's minor in the greater schemes but why are you feeling "not right" about it? I wonder whether there are other small things that leave you feeling excluded from his life.

GarlicSteak Fri 10-Jun-16 08:37:14

* greater scheme of things

StillDrSethHazlittMD Fri 10-Jun-16 08:37:41

I'm with the majority. It's an overreaction bearing in mind you don't live together.

BolshierAryaStark Fri 10-Jun-16 09:39:51

Unless there's something else going on here this is an overreaction on your part, he didn't mention it, so what?

Joysmum Fri 10-Jun-16 09:47:47

He probably thought he had mentioned it, hense no need to do so again when you told him you'd booked yours.

Only1scoop Fri 10-Jun-16 09:50:50

I'd find it a bit strange if DP hadn't told me he had booked a holiday.

Sounds like he's had plenty of time and triggers to tell you.

Olddear Fri 10-Jun-16 11:10:05

I don't think it's an over reaction. I'd feel uneasy that my partner of 18m didn't tell he'd arranged a holiday, particuarly when you mentioned holidays in recent conversation and he would then have had ample opportunity to mention it.
Yes, it is odd in my opinion. Don't have any explanation for it but definitely sound strange to me.

SandyY2K Fri 10-Jun-16 11:18:13

I can't see why he couldn't have simply said "I've booked a holiday for me and DC. ...we're going to Hawai on 2nd of August"

If nothing you could have chosen to book your holiday at the same time, to maintain time together when you're home.

On it's own I'd let it pass, but watch and observe other such behaviour.

Dowser Fri 10-Jun-16 11:35:34

I'd find that odd too.

I'd be keeping a watchful eye. If you've got nothing to hide...why hide it?

Thingvellir Fri 10-Jun-16 12:11:53

I find it strange not to mention this to a partner of 18 months standing. Not least so you can coordinate diaries. Do you usually talk about things happening in your lives with each other?

I'm too excited when I've booked a holiday not to mention it to anyone who'll listen!

pinkdelight Fri 10-Jun-16 12:24:22

A watchful eye for what? You agreed to book separate holidays. He booked one. It's still a couple of months away so why would he need to flag it up? Another one failing to see what the big (or even small) deal here is.

GeorgeTheThird Fri 10-Jun-16 12:27:42

Based on what you have said you are overreacting. But your gut is telling you something and I would think about what, if I were in your position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now