Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To feel unreasonably angry that I have to sit though TV quiz shows.

(78 Posts)
pearlylum Fri 20-May-16 17:51:11

Just a rant. My mother sits though endless bloody quiz shows on TV. I don't watch much TV but these are driving me nuts. The Chase, Pointless ( the worst) Tipping Point.

Savagebeauty Fri 20-May-16 17:54:06

I love The chase and Pointless.
#nothelpful

pearlylum Fri 20-May-16 17:56:27

I wish I liked them.
It's every bloody day. Hours of them.

sooperdooper Fri 20-May-16 17:57:11

So do something else instead? Nobody's forcing you to watch TV?

Why don't you, just switch off the TV set and go and do something else instead...... Just came rushing to my mind! ;)

MyNewBearTotoro Fri 20-May-16 17:59:21

I love all three of these quiz shows. Although Pointless and The Chase are on at the same time so can't usually watch both.

But anyway, why do you have to watch? Can't you leave the room? Or listen to music through headphones and read or something?

pearlylum Fri 20-May-16 18:01:52

I am busy for most of the day, but I do like to sit in the lounge sometimes. I don't watch, but it's always on, with my mother shouting out the answers two seconds after they have been said and congratulating herself.

Cagliostro Fri 20-May-16 18:02:10

I do feel your pain, I grew up with endless TV, my dad still watches it now all day long. Just so much pointless shit (Pointless itself excluded, I quite enjoy that now and again!) - my main bugbear is property/antique shows. Uggggh.

But also agree there's nowt to prevent doing something else. smile

Perbsy Fri 20-May-16 18:02:48

OP, I feel your pain, they even have celebrity versions at the weekend.

Those smug sods on pointless and their "in" jokes, DH loves it all.

Cagliostro Fri 20-May-16 18:03:16

xpost! The shouting would be annoying too.

I think I'd probably just leave the room and read in bed or something. Not that you should have to, and you don't of course, but maybe your absence would make a point?

pearlylum Fri 20-May-16 18:06:47

I doubt my absence would be noticed.

I have a busy day, but come 5 or 6 pm I like a comfy seat. It's just so annoying that every time I sit in the lounge all this crap TV is on.
I don't particularly want to go to my bedroom in the middle of the day.

Perbsy Fri 20-May-16 18:06:52

My DM loved Wimbledon, she did the scoring out loud.

MakingJudySmile Fri 20-May-16 18:09:36

I can't believe you think Pointless is worse than Tipping Point. Tipping point is actually pointless; granted slightly less pointless than that one with the phones and the annoying fella with the beard.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 20-May-16 18:18:00

My DM loved having snooker on at any possibility! Zzzzzzz.

pearlylum Fri 20-May-16 18:22:16

Thanks for the understanding.
I am being driven around the bend.

She tells me these are "educational".

Euphemia Fri 20-May-16 18:24:14

Read a book or piss about on MN at the same time?

AnyFucker Fri 20-May-16 18:24:16

I feel my brain cells dying by the thousands when these shows are on

pearlylum Fri 20-May-16 18:26:03

THanks Euphemia. I play candy crush and enter competitions.
She has a TV in her room, but prefers to watch it downstairs.

MargotLovedTom Fri 20-May-16 18:30:38

Is it your mother's house or yours? If the former then you'll have to put up with it; if the latter then say "I'm switching this shite off!" (Actually I don't mind The Chase wink).

pearlylum Fri 20-May-16 18:33:18

I couldn't be so rude morgot.

My house, my mother lives with us. On the one hand it keeps her amused and easier than all the re-run stories of what the postman said.

MargotLovedTom Fri 20-May-16 18:44:29

Sorry, I was being flippant. Maybe you could have a compromise where she watches this stuff downstairs a couple of weeknights, then the other nights in her room. It seems a bit off that you can never relax as you'd like.

KatieKaboom Fri 20-May-16 18:58:00

The Chase is great.

Feel your pain on the other two, though! Dull, insufferable telly.

happypoobum Fri 20-May-16 19:16:05

". I don't watch, but it's always on, with my mother shouting out the answers two seconds after they have been said and congratulating herself."

I think you may be my daughter blush

BMW6 Fri 20-May-16 23:22:26

Your house!

"Mum - please go and watch these shows on your own TV in your room because I'm going to watch my TV <changes channels>. See you when they;ve finished x"

ouryve Fri 20-May-16 23:36:20

My 12 year old (with ASD) is addicted to those 2 shows (pointless, chase - usually watched on Challenge, several years old) - and Police Interceptors!

It's better than some shit. And I do sit rooted to the current series of police interceptors, since it's all been recorded in our area! We recognised the unmarked beemer, the other day, as it chased an Audi, past the bus we were on!

SandyY2K Sat 21-May-16 00:51:40

I love the chase and tipping point. Not keen on pointless. My mum likes the all too.

They are educational. My teen daughter watches with me sometimes.

You did make me laugh about her shouting the answers out after they've been revealed though

Unfortunately until you move out you have no choice in the matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now