Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Making Friends (proper ones) in a new place!

(5 Posts)
Mumfortoddler Tue 17-May-16 01:31:16

Hi all
I'm a single mummy and have moved to Northampton and we know virtually no-one here. I manage a charity so don't get to know people so much socially as its basically like your boss inviting you out for drinks. I also can't relax around my staff as my team see me as their director. My DS just started at his new school. Can I have tips please for making friends? School gate rarely works as have to dress smart for work people don't like talking to me unless I am in my own clothes, plus I am the 'rarely ever there mummy' I can't afford evening classes, membership to a gym etc as money is tight. How do you meet friends in a new place whilst broke?!!!

runnerselbow Tue 17-May-16 02:25:22

Hi OP! I am in similar situ and recommend meetup.com. Have also organised meetups through this site myself in the past when living in a new village abroad, and met some nice people. Plenty of free stuff and people on there also who will be new and looking to meet new people. Also went to a 'pot luck' dinner recently organised by someone on couchsurfing - not just super young traveller types, lots of locally based people looking to expand their social circle, good mix, great fun, and relaxed unpressured environment. They have events and group sections on their website and anyone can set up a new event. Maybe also look out for your local rotary club? Can be a bit daunting moving somewhere new, hope one of these suggestions helps!

Mumfortoddler Tue 17-May-16 06:56:22

Thanks runnerselbow! I will give it a try!

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 17-May-16 07:07:16

Good luck OP, we moved to where we are almost a year ago, and these days feel like I'm getting there, have a couple of friends I can invite round etc. Bit different for me as DS is a baby so we go to baby groups which must make it a bit easier. But I had a phase of total dispair where I thought I'd be lonely forever, but just keep being brave and striking up conversations and looking happy and friendly!

gemsangels123 Tue 17-May-16 17:05:37

I just wanted to say. I'm feeling quite envious of you. I would love to up sticks with my dc's and start a fresh.
I wish you luck and I'm sure you will meet new friends soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now