Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Tell me about your tinder experiences!

(12 Posts)
Toddzoid Wed 11-May-16 10:58:10

Has anyone found long lasting love on there? Has anyone ever found anything that wasn't just a one night stand (or at least a man that wasn't just seeking that...) ?

I do know of one couple who are now engaged that met on tinder and I know two other couples that lasted for a while. But mostly it seems to be a hook-up app or something people use to boost their ego/pass the time like a game...

I have met four men off tinder irl. Three of them I never saw again, two I am glad about but one I was pretty disappointed in because we really clicked and I wanted more from it but obviously he didn't... And one I dated for about six weeks before it went sour grapes.

I think age may be relevant here. I'm 26. Is it better the older you get? I get messages asking me to be a sub, a few lewd comments and yesterday I was talking in depth about politics to a man before he suddenly said this wasn't what he was on tinder for, he just wanted to see boobs hmm. Do any men on there actually want anything beyond a bit of game playing/easy sex??

Intrigued to hear what other people's experiences are anyway.

Sapph1r3 Wed 11-May-16 11:16:22

I met a lovely man on tinder around Christmas. Kind, generous, thoughtful, intelligent and honest. We're both taking it slowly but we're into our fifth month together and it's going well!
I think the key with tinder is not to place all your eggs in one basket, be observant, chat a lot before you agree to meet and be prepared to cut your losses quickly and move on. Good luck!

misszp Wed 11-May-16 11:41:55

I am 27 and use Tinder.

I find that I get plenty of matches, but striking up conversation is a whole different ball game. Guys aren't as proactive as I thought they would be (maybe it is me!).

Like you, I get messages from those just after one thing - but then I think I would rather someone be upfront and honest prior to meeting them, at least that way you can make an informed choice! I get annoyed when they are so lewd about it though.

I have met a few people from Tinder who were genuinely seeking relationships too, so they do exist!! They were really nice guys, however one I just don't have chemistry with but have remained friends, the other lives too far away, the others have faded away.

Personally I like Tinder, and having used POF too, I think Tinder is the better app to use for OLD and chatting to people. I have found there are plenty of people on there looking for NSA as well as genuine relationships. You just have to be prepared to sift through a lot of people, and cut your losses when you need to!

mrsainzjr Wed 11-May-16 17:24:36

You will find everything on Tinder: Men for a serious relationship or just casual sex. But as a woman you'll get a lot of boring messages. I found this interesting YouTube video youtu.be/n-rDkXInFU4 - so funny to see all the ridiculous messages women get. Horrible. You probably made this experience already...

Hydroshield Wed 11-May-16 18:08:43

Are you a journo, OP?

Faithless Thu 12-May-16 11:26:15

I met my fiance on Tinder when I was 42 - I'm now 44. We now live together and are getting married in November grin

merville Fri 13-May-16 23:13:23

Haven't personally used it but know amongst men in the US (not sure if exactly the same in the UK) it is seen as a hook-up/casual sex platform. Have seen them discuss how they would never consider a woman who uses tinder as relationship material.
OLD in general does attract a lot of men who think it's for whatever reasons (deluded fantasies in many cases I reckon) that it's a tool to meet free prostitutes.

However I do know ppl who've gotten into serious relationships - 1 girl who met her fiance and father if her 2 kids on POF (I don't think they ended up getting married though, they may have broken up but not sure as she dropped out of contact). My 2nd cousin met her husband of several yrs (they have a daughter together) online, not sure which site.

It's a mixed bag but tinder does have a bad ie casual sex reputation.

HOwever it goes, you need the hide of a rhino, a v good sense of humour, a great deal of skepticism, and high self esteem to survive OLD.

WavingNotDrowning Fri 13-May-16 23:17:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Slowdecrease Sat 14-May-16 00:30:22

I met OH on Tinder - we are a year and a half on - very happy. We also had sex on our first date ( got very drunk and overexcited, both of us ) so I suppose it could have gone either way, - when its right it's right .

BackforGood Sat 14-May-16 00:32:54

Friend and her partner met on Tinder (she was 21, he 23) - they've been together about 3 yrs now and live together and are planning to get married smile

5BlueHydrangea Sat 14-May-16 00:40:03

A friend of mine has been with someone she met on there for about 8 months. So far so good... They are both mid 40's though so age may play a part.

susanirene27 Wed 04-Jan-17 17:59:13

Im so pleased about that ive recently met a lovely guy on tinder and the attraction is both ways we have decided after one date to be in a relationship i have seen men asking for sex and all sites have guys on like that but my friend was saying omg youve met him on tinder be careful im upset because hes lovely anyway im going to keep with him because i want to why do people try to put you off its a matter of sifting through the ones who are not for you im delighted that there is couples that are together cos of tinder so yes theres hope for me and my new man thankyou xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now