Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

He picks my clothes . .

(299 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Eyelashinmyeye Mon 09-May-16 17:08:14

. .or at least tries to. Would you find this controlling? I quite liked it at first, as it felt like he was really paying attention to what suits me etc, but it has started to annoy me, and has almost caused arguments.

I told him I was looking online for new clothes and he made sure he saw them before I ordered. When I said that I was sending something back because I had seen a nicer one in the shops, he said 'can I see it first'?

Just trying to get an idea if this is controlling, or if you would find it a bit annoying/odd?

kippersyllabub Mon 09-May-16 17:08:49

Controlling

AnyFucker Mon 09-May-16 17:10:00

Controlling

In what other ways does he try to exert control ? Who you see, where you go, what time you stay out until, what your opinions are etc

lionheart70 Mon 09-May-16 17:10:01

Really annoying and controlling.

Toffeelatteplease Mon 09-May-16 17:10:14

Incredibly. Run for the hills

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Mon 09-May-16 17:10:39

Odd, annoying and possibly controlling.

AnyFucker Mon 09-May-16 17:10:46

Oh, and you were very foolish to consider it at all acceptable in the first place

He is not your keeper and you are not 5yo

pocketsaviour Mon 09-May-16 17:11:01

Does he work in the fashion industry? If no, he's controlling you, and I'm going to bet it's not the only controlling thing he does, just the first one you've put a name to.

DoreenLethal Mon 09-May-16 17:11:11

Controlling.

Boyfriend or married?

NoCapes Mon 09-May-16 17:11:17

Run away
Fast

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 09-May-16 17:12:59

Unless he's a world known stylist and you are happy for him to choose your clothes, then no, it's not ok.

Eyelashinmyeye Mon 09-May-16 17:14:09

I can't really think of other things he does to control me.

The only other thing that makes me feel uncomfortable, so could be in the same category, is that I sometimes feel if I want to have a quiet 5 mins after a busy day at work, then I'm accused of being moody and it will cause upset/silent treatment, followed by a row.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Mon 09-May-16 17:14:33

what would happen if you ignored him and bought something he didn't like?
then wore it out with him?

Eyelashinmyeye Mon 09-May-16 17:15:29

not married, and no kids.

Eyelashinmyeye Mon 09-May-16 17:16:40

passive . .I have a few things that he doesn't like, and he always suggests I put something else on!

TheSuspiciousMsWhicher Mon 09-May-16 17:17:56

So you're not allowed to have a quiet 5 minutes without him making it all about him? Taken with the clothing thing, I would run fast and run far.

AnyFucker Mon 09-May-16 17:19:11

Get the togs he doesn't like, wear them and when he suggests something else look him right in the eye and refuse

See what he says/does

FetchezLaVache Mon 09-May-16 17:19:12

How long have you been together? Just wondering if this is the subtle opening move in a long-term campaign of control...

HeadDreamer Mon 09-May-16 17:19:19

Very controlling.

is that I sometimes feel if I want to have a quiet 5 mins after a busy day at work, then I'm accused of being moody and it will cause upset/silent treatment, followed by a row.

It's a completely normal thing to want quiet time. It shouldn't cause any upset.

Believeitornot Mon 09-May-16 17:20:08

I would talk to him and tell him how you feel.

He won't listen.

But tell him anyway when you split up with him.

Ludwaysl Mon 09-May-16 17:20:45

Controlling. Go out while you can.

Ludwaysl Mon 09-May-16 17:21:01

Get out.

Eyelashinmyeye Mon 09-May-16 17:21:56

Lived together for 6 months, been together for a year.

I feel like I might have brought this on myself though . .as I complained a while ago that I had no decent clothes and that I'm struggling to find stuff that I like. I expected his opinion, but it has spiralled into him being my personal dresser!

I just want to pick my own stuff!

How would he react if you made the same sort of commentary on his clothes?

ChuckitintheBucket Mon 09-May-16 17:23:12

Not married, no kids. I'd run and run bloody fast. He will only get worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now