Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Can my ex really take my kids out of school without my knowledge or permission?

(8 Posts)
singlemumma1 Tue 03-May-16 20:04:04

I'm going through a messy seperation, my ex is being very unpredictable in his behaviour. My kids have just moved to new schools as we have moved and on letting the schools know about the situation and head of year helpfully emailed me back clarifying what they have to do legally and he pointed out that the ex is allowed to remove the children from school? Can he do this without my permission or knowledge? i'm just really worried. thanks for our help x

HirplesWithHaggis Tue 03-May-16 20:07:31

Assuming he has PR, yes. Sorry. sad

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Tue 03-May-16 20:37:40

Yes he can

Did you gain his permission before moving them from their schools?

CrazyDuchess Tue 03-May-16 20:42:41

Yes he can but you can ask to be notified if that happens (can do at my dd primary school)

AtSea1979 Tue 03-May-16 20:47:28

Yes he can, just like you can.

AlanPacino Tue 03-May-16 20:49:01

If your dc are also your ex's dc's why shouldn't they have equal responsibility (unless there are prior or current custody/access proceedings pertaining to your ex's inability to meet the dc's needs.)

singlemumma1 Tue 03-May-16 21:01:50

Thanks, he has PR for dd but not ds. This is really helpful

goddessofsmallthings Tue 03-May-16 23:09:54

Is this "messy separation" pursuant to a divorce and have you engaged in mediation to establish child care arrangements?

Regardless, if you are concerned that your ex may take your dd out of school and/or fail to return her to you, you can apply to to the family courts for a Prohibited Steps Order - see this guide: www.gov.uk/looking-after-children-divorce/types-of-court-order

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now