Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Couples counselling- what to expect?

(3 Posts)
CarsonTheButler Sun 01-May-16 23:36:15

DH I have an appointment for counselling tomorrow and I have absolutely no idea what to expect- can anyone enlighten me?

Unknown situations don't normally faze me, I am very comfortable in any work or social situations, would say I was a pretty confident person all round but this is actually terrifying me, tbh.

I did have a thread on here about DH's behaviour (basically a one-sided EA and general lying/ truth omission) but have both decided we definitely want to put it behind us and look forward.

Any hints on what I can expect from a first session and in general from this?

Twinklelittlestar1 Mon 02-May-16 12:40:09

Hi, if you haven't been already (as I see you posted this yesterday) I found that the counsellor asked us what had brought us there that day then asked lots of questions to get us to think about all aspects of our relationship from intimacy to disagreements to time spent together. I found that even though I went along with an 'issue' it was more about the 'whole relationship' as I suppose it's all linked. I found it all quite insightful and it helped us to reach a conclusion of where we wanted things to go.

CarsonTheButler Mon 02-May-16 18:34:59

Thanks very much, Twinkle. We haven't been yet, the appointment is for later after work (no Bank Holiday here).

I thought it would be good for us to talk about it all to someone else but the nearer it gets to the appointment, the less I actually want to do that. Hoping this will change when we actually get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now