Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

unreasonable behaviour date clause

(9 Posts)
BackgroundMusic Tue 12-Apr-16 15:43:09

Hi,

I was reading about date clause. It says the unreasonable behaviour needs to happen within the last six months. I'm leaving my husband because my husband keeps bringing MIL back into our house. She was here was Dec 2014 and has not visited since. Should I wait for her next visit so the issue is more recent?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 12-Apr-16 15:45:15

Well if she hadn't been there since 2014 he doesn't "keep bringing her back".

confused

BackgroundMusic Tue 12-Apr-16 16:35:32

Well that was prior to Dec 2014. She visits us for a good few months when she does. I'm really fed up. It has taken me from 2014 to get to this stage. It's a long story, any advice on 6 month clause? Will the courts say the same - that is what I was wondering.

Jackie0 Tue 12-Apr-16 16:40:26

What does it matter?
If you don't want to be with him separate and see a solicitor.

CalonGoch Tue 12-Apr-16 17:50:59

Is that the only instance of his unreasonableness? How many times has your MIL visited over the course of your marriage - ie, out of how many months' marriage has she stayed?

huskylover Tue 12-Apr-16 18:10:15

Say what now?

Iamthinking Tue 12-Apr-16 18:39:26

Rephrase it as a present tense thing, because whatever is making you leave is a present tense thing - you just have to get it in words. It doesn't matter what you say really, but make it something like he 'will not agree to limit MIL unreasonably long visits to the house'. Courts don't care, I don't think, if you want out just get a solicitor and get out.

BackgroundMusic Tue 12-Apr-16 18:53:13

Thank you, that makes sense. Will rephrase as we cannot agree on this. Well I moved out last year anyways. The form looked easy enough so I was thinking diy divorce. We are sorting out finances in advance.

Sorry to not reply other posters individually. I had MIL threads before, think I need to get out.

Dungandbother Tue 12-Apr-16 21:48:42

Unreasonable behaviour is limitless.

Leaves his pants on the floor
Doesn't put the toothpaste lid on despite being asked
Doesn't ever cook dinner

Whatever is unreasonable that you can't solve is good enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now