Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Crushing on a teacher

(9 Posts)
Hollyplum22 Thu 07-Apr-16 14:03:10

I am married, I don't want to cross the line but I have found myself crushing over a teacher at my child's school. We barely talk, just the usual good morning or hello in the afternoon and a big grin and lots of eye contact. He apparently doesn't talk to any other parent according to others, however he has always been nice to me. I know nothing about him, I try to avoid seeing him, he makes me feel like a teenager again and it's unsettling. The other day DH went into school with me to drop off our kids and said teacher had a look of disappointment on his face and he then stopped being nice to me since that point. I am now feeling upset over this which I realize is incredibly ridiculous seeing as i am happily married and I don't even know the man but I guess I was enjoying the attention. How do I get myself to stop thinking about this and getting upset over it?

sonjadog Thu 07-Apr-16 16:18:45

You are imagine things. Of course he talks to other parents. Do you think he completely blanks them when they approach them? You DH said he looked incredibly disappointed? Why would he say or notice that? Does he know you fancy him and is assessing if you are in with a chance?

Euphemia Thu 07-Apr-16 16:33:17

Don't be so daft! It's inappropriate on several levels. Drive thoughts of him from your head!

Snoopydo Thu 07-Apr-16 16:40:23

Why would you get upset over a teacher not looking at you? You're married so presumably you are not looking for an affair. What are you wanting from this man?

FrancesNiadova Thu 07-Apr-16 17:20:26

Please let your child's school experience be about them & not about you.
The teacher probably has been embarrassed by your behaviour; it will have been noticed that you were being very friendly. His manager might have had a word, or he might have been the butt of teasing by colleagues.
Either way, back right off & allow your child to be the one that school is all about.

wigglebum84 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:06:38

What a load of shit, ofcourse he talks to other parents. Why has that even been said?

cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 07-Apr-16 22:19:24

Oh dear! In the nicest way possible you have a crush teacher is just being friendly and polite.

HappyJanuary Fri 08-Apr-16 06:40:41

This sort of thing happens to male teachers quite often IME.

It is a joke in our staffroom that when the male teachers ask for parent helpers they are swamped with offers.

In the past year alone they have both had to deal with quite obvious crushes from besotted married women - one mother went as far as asking another member of staff whether she was in with a chance.

I guess you can enjoy your crush from a distance, but please remember that it is extremely unlikely to be reciprocated, and keep your dignity, he's a professional doing his job and shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense.

Bree85 Fri 08-Apr-16 14:34:40

Well, it is really normal to have a crush to someone. But going beyond that is what makes it not okay. The best thing is to stop that fantasy immediately before it goes deeper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now